Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is there a Cold Turkey alternative for Linux?

This is the one program I need or else I won't be able to switch to Linux:
    getcoldturkey[.]com

It's only available for Windows and Mac OS X.

Linux Guru
    https://getcoldturkey.com/ a "distraction blocker".
    interesting.
    what exactly does it do?
    i'm sure something like that is achievable for gnu/linux, but maybe no dedicated software exists.
    the multitude of desktop environments would make it very complex to implement.

Are there software developers that might be interested in making something similar to this?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Verify View Post
    This is the one program I need or else I won't be able to switch to Linux:
    getcoldturkey[.]com

It's only available for Windows and Mac OS X.
    If it's just browser-based then you could try StayFocusd, which is an add on. There is also LeechBlock. Otherwise you could try running it in Wine.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Linux Guru
    did you not read my reply? 3 points!

1: what exactly does it do?
    tell us what you want, instead of demanding a port, because:
    2. i'm sure something like that is achievable for gnu/linux, but maybe no dedicated software exists.
    but i'm 100% sure similar software exists for linux.
    but if it really has to be exactly the same:
    3. the multitude of desktop environments would make it very complex to implement.

comment on that, instead of repeating your demands!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Verify View Post
    This is the one program I need or else I won't be able to switch to Linux: getcoldturkey[.]com It's only available for Windows and Mac OS X.
    oh well, then i guess you cant switch. probably for the best since you dont appear able to do much for yourself. because putting in "cold turkey for linux" into google pulls up lots of alternatives for me. or does google not work in your area? there are chrome extensions that do EXACTLY what your after, stayfocusd is one. there are others, go look them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verify
    Are there software developers that might be interested in making something similar to this?
    no probably not. since if you dont want to be bothered by internet, they have already invented this AWESOME item called a 'switch"...flip it, and your wifi goes off! presto! no more 'distractions".

Verify, I glanced at the website you mentioned. Interesting program. I can see that just switching off your Internet, as Habit suggested, wouldn't entirely do the same job, since Cold Turkey's thing is that it allows you to block only certain types of websites, e.g. to carry on with a task that requires the use of your e-mail but not be able to look at YouTube. (Though if switching off your router is all you've got, it's not a bad idea!)

I did a quick search and found this:
    Cold Turkey Alternatives for Linux - AlternativeTo.net https://alternativeto.net/software/c...platform=linux That looks a remarkably handy site for someone using a non-standard operating system, actually, I'll remember that myself, so I've learnt something. See if any of those do the job. (There were other results too, if none of the ones on that site cover it.)
    Tip: it surprisingly often does work just to type something like "Cold Turkey alternatives for Linux" into a search ewngine and see if anything useful coems up. I suppose it helps that "Linux" is such a distinctive word, so that's all you need to add to your search to narrow it down to information specifically relevant to Linux computing.

I apologise for the previous replies you've had. I don't know, on Wikipedia there's a saying, "Don't bite the newbies". I've always found that a good rule. But evidently customs vary. Hope this helps solve your problem, anyway.

Linux User
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat140 View Post

I apologise for the previous replies you've had. I don't know, on Wikipedia there's a saying, "Don't bite the newbies". I've always found that a good rule. But evidently customs vary. Hope this helps solve your problem, anyway.
    As if getting started on Linux wasn't hard enough.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk