Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Text Editor Needed

I need to run a spell check, and a search and replace on multiple text files. I need to be able to convert all non-Unicode files to UTF-8 automatically. I need a text editor that will do all of this and be 100% compatible with UTF-8. Boxer can do everything except the last and gEdit is only good because it is 100% compatible with UTF-8. A plugin to for gEdit would be fine, if one exists. I am tired of useless searches for plugins that donít exist.

The text editor does not need to be free. It does not need to be open source. It needs to work. I wish Linux developers would understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix View Post
    It needs to work. I wish Linux developers would understand this.
    Hi there, I understand your frustration, but do remember that it all takes time and effort to put software together... and everyone's needs are often so different, it's hard to satisfy every request. That is where community-contributed plugins come in, sure, but you - the community - need to produce them... the "linux developers" you talk about are busy with the main project, giving their all to build the tools you so easily cast aside with derision.

I have mostly converted to using Visual Code for my coding work on my desktop, and then still using Emacs for the rest (esp. server-based stuff). See the stackoverflow post (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...al-studio-code) on UTF8 support, scroll down to the bottom post.. I'm not sure it'll meet your standards of course.

Go well.

So how many years do I*need to wait? It’s been at least ten. Probably longer. Since about 2002 when I started using Linux. Not much has changed in all that time. Wound up using a Windows program... again. You are mistaken in thinking the community is only programmers. Absolutely ridiculous to think a businessman is going to bother trying to program his own tools unless he runs a software company. Do you make parts for your car? Or adapt plumbing to fit your needs? Your argument falls down.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You dont have to wait at all.
    Noone forces you to use a linux distro.
    If you find some tools on $OS are better for your usecase, then use $OS.
    Also noone is obliged to create a $OS or $Texteditor for your needs, unless you pay for its development.

That said, maybe https://www.sublimetext.com/ is for you.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Linux Guru

long rant i did not read.

whitephoenix,
    spell check of what? written language, as opposed to coding, i suppose? i just looked and geany has a plugin for that.
    i think it also fulfils most if not all of your other demands.

-->
    Wow, that's a a sweeping statement there - "Not much has changed in all that time"? Ha ha ha - seriously? Anyway, I wasn't suggesting that you write your own editor at all, I mentioned plugins as they are specifically designed for users (without extensive coding knowledge) to add desired features. If you don't want to do that, being a busy business person, then you have to accept what is available. Compromise sure, but that's life.

Check out the options mentioned by the other posters? Otherwise, yes, stick with what you got. Go well.