Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Install Reaver & Pixiewps now no internet

I'm a linux noob. I recently installed Mint on an old laptop. I like using the terminal & how simple it is, but I'm still very new to it. It will take a lot of repetition to be familiar with code so forgive me.

I followed a tutorial to install Reaver & Pixiewps. At first I was having trouble with Pixiewps cuz the video is a little out of date & some things have changed, but I played around & got it working.

So I already experienced on my own when you run the commands: airmon-ng check kill
    airmon-ng start "monitor"
    the internet shuts down & your wificard becomes what? A receiver?

Lost my wifi that way when I was through messing around with Reaver without being able to see the software, or icons for it, did some searching & found the commands:
    airmon-config-ng stop "monitor"
    service network-manager start

Fixed that. That's when I figured out how to finish installing Pixiewps. Tried running Reaver again. Failed again. I keep getting the same error. And I restored the internet again with the same commands I just posted & now it shows I'm connected no problem, but the internet simply doesn't work. Shows the signal strength, connectivity, says it's peachy keen, but nothing will load in Mozilla, or TOR.

If I may add. I spent some time away & in the code I've saved as a guide I have the following commands:
    sudo ifconfig "mon" down
    sudo iwconfig "mon" mode monitor
    sudo ifconfig "mon" up
    sudo iwconfig "mon"

I can't really recall all their place in this & I'm trying to figure out when they should be executed for what purpose.

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this. Exciting, but very frustrating too!

Linux Guru
    i am making a full quote of this to preserve it for later reference.
    it is a good example of how people don't know how to use penetration testing etc. and mess up their desktop installs.

my recommend:
    test these tools (frankly i have no clue what reaver & pixiewps is, but i'm assuming it somehow ties in with the also mentioned airmon-ng) from a live usb installation of e.g. kali linux - do NOT install this to a hard drive.

also, read some documentation, or "RTFM" as the oldies call it.

Quote Originally Posted by CephEsaul View Post
    I'm a linux noob. I recently installed Mint on an old laptop. I like using the terminal & how simple it is, but I'm still very new to it. It will take a lot of repetition to be familiar with code so forgive me.

I followed a tutorial to install Reaver & Pixiewps. At first I was having trouble with Pixiewps cuz the video is a little out of date & some things have changed, but I played around & got it working.

So I already experienced on my own when you run the commands: airmon-ng check kill
    airmon-ng start "monitor"
    the internet shuts down & your wificard becomes what? A receiver?

Lost my wifi that way when I was through messing around with Reaver without being able to see the software, or icons for it, did some searching & found the commands:
    airmon-config-ng stop "monitor"
    service network-manager start

Fixed that. That's when I figured out how to finish installing Pixiewps. Tried running Reaver again. Failed again. I keep getting the same error. And I restored the internet again with the same commands I just posted & now it shows I'm connected no problem, but the internet simply doesn't work. Shows the signal strength, connectivity, says it's peachy keen, but nothing will load in Mozilla, or TOR.

If I may add. I spent some time away & in the code I've saved as a guide I have the following commands:
    sudo ifconfig "mon" down
    sudo iwconfig "mon" mode monitor
    sudo ifconfig "mon" up
    sudo iwconfig "mon"

I can't really recall all their place in this & I'm trying to figure out when they should be executed for what purpose.

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this. Exciting, but very frustrating too!

I noticed our OP didn't mention routing and DNS. One or both may be changed when using these tools. Only complains internet is "not working". Makes me think ... I'd better refrain from saying what I think.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for the help Segfault. You're a hell of a person.

Linux Guru
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by CephEsaul View Post
    You're a hell of a person.
    heh.
    i wonder if that's a compliment.

anyhow, a description of how the solution progresses would've been more helpful.