Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Huge blunder. Desperate Help needed

I've done ****ed up really bad and need serious help.

I am just somewhat capable of building a PC and do the basic suff with it - so my knowledge is pretty limited. Anywhere, here is what happened in the short form:

- My windows went byebye

- Getting Ubuntu on USB stick to make a backup of files I don't have backed

- Had a complete blunder and accidenally deleted the wrong folder + my OCD made me clear the trashbin as well

- Since i'ts a HDD it should be possible to recover?!

- Googled for help, Suggested to Testdisk, but didnt get it to work. Don't understand half of the suff they explain in the solutions cause 0,0 knowledge about Linux. Textdisk error says: "An Error occured while loading the archive"

- Haven't done anyhing since to avoid overwriting anything

Wat to do? Please help.

Linux User
    I know how the process is in Windows. If you use Recuva you can recover files you haven't securely overwritten. So if you could install Windows at the end of the disk, install Recuva and create a partition using the same characteristics the old one had and use Recuva you should be able to recover most of the files you haven't overwritten.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by atze-peng View Post
    - Googled for help, Suggested to Testdisk, but didnt get it to work. Don't understand half of the suff they explain in the solutions cause 0,0 knowledge about Linux. Textdisk error says: "An Error occured while loading the archive"
    i agree, testdisk is difficult even when you get it working.
    but it's your best bet for recovering the files, so i suggest you read their wiki again, and search for tutorials.

actually, there's on eother thought:
    what filesystem is the partition witht he files in question?
    if it's NTFS (kinda likely on windows) your best bet is some windows tool.
    if it's something else, more userfriendly tools might exist for Linux.

but testdisk/photorec will work in any case.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    I'd venture to say that file recovery is never easy, so you'll have to do the hard yards regardless I think. I have used the special PartedMagic Linux mini-distro over the years for file recovery operations. It isn't free, but I find the small fee worth it. It includes a bunch of recovery tools, and is geared to being booted from flash to aid with system recovery. However, the tools are not simple to use, and I always have to check the howto out on Google before I go for it. Luckily I have not had to use if often!

Good luck with your file recovery, I hope you do come right!