Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1

    What font is suitable for the terminal rxvt-unicode?


    I configured this configuration in Xresources:
    Code:
    URxvt.font: xft:terminus:size=13
    URxvt.letterSpace: -4
    And I did this:
    imgur.com/a/768DH
    As you can see, this font is not suitable for this terminal, although it is suitable for xterm.
    I tried different values but everything looks exactly ugly. Which font will look best in the terminal? (Except mono, and other standard)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Linux Newbie sarlacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    223
    The font should look the same on both rxvt and xterm. I tend to use Google's Anonymous Pro or Source Code Pro for terminal work - in xterm:
    Code:
    ! Get a list of possible short names for supported fonts via:
    !# fc-list | cut -f2 -d: | sort -u
    xterm*faceName:              "Source Code Pro 9":pixelsize=12
    Should be good for rxvt?

    Go well.
    Last edited by sarlacii; 01-29-2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: code tags

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlacii View Post
    The font should look the same on both rxvt and xterm. I tend to use Google's Anonymous Pro or Source Code Pro for terminal work - in xterm:
    Code:
    ! Get a list of possible short names for supported fonts via:
    !# fc-list | cut -f2 -d: | sort -u
    xterm*faceName:              "Source Code Pro 9":pixelsize=12
    Should be good for rxvt?

    Go well.
    You just did not see my terminals. I'll show you how it looks ugly. On the first screenshot urxvt. and on the second xterm:
    imgur.com/a/U8CZw
    The difference is immediately apparent. urxvt does not work well with this font, now I'll try from the list that your team deduced.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Newbie sarlacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    223
    Hi there

    Sorry, I couldn't view the attachment. However, I have had it where a font is not available, and as such the system defaults to a fundamental, "safe" font (i.e. ugly as sin). In that case, check the output of the list for available fonts, and try a few to see what changes... if you didn't already know, to load the new settings immediately, run:
    Code:
    xrdb .Xresources
    To view all current settings, run:
    Code:
    xrdb -query

  6. #5
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    neither font is terminus.
    try
    Code:
    URxvt*font: -*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    is terminus even installed???

  7. #6

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by sarlacii View Post
    Hi there

    Sorry, I couldn't view the attachment. However, I have had it where a font is not available, and as such the system defaults to a fundamental, "safe" font (i.e. ugly as sin). In that case, check the output of the list for available fonts, and try a few to see what changes... if you didn't already know, to load the new settings immediately, run:
    Code:
    xrdb .Xresources
    To view all current settings, run:
    Code:
    xrdb -query
    At me it already is, more precisely the script located on a way /home/user/.icewm/startURhvt which contains the following code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    
    xrdb ~/.Xresources
    urxvt &
    I asked about the font, not about what everyone knows.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    neither font is terminus.
    try
    Code:
    URxvt*font: -*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    is terminus even installed???
    What kind of stupid questions? I showed you the screenshots in the last post, see and make sure that this font is displayed and installed.
    Your line does not help.I already figured out and turned on this line:
    Code:
    URxvt*font: xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:size=12
    Now the console looks better.But this is not a console, but a complete garbage, at the command ls I see a different size of folders and files on any font. I will no longer use this terminal because it does not fit visibly under small screens!And do not ask children's questions geek who has been sitting on Linux for 5 years.

  9. #8
    Linux Newbie sarlacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxerGeek View Post
    I asked about the font, not about what everyone knows.
    Seriously? You asked questions, and a couple of people jumped in to share experiences and knowledge, because it's not very often that you look at an issue and immediately see the right answer - Linux issues are all very varied and different. If you've spent any time at all on forums you would realise that this iterative process is how it works?

    I didn't have the exact answer, but suggested a way of listing available fonts. Still gives you some information to go on. Take it and reply to let us know how you progressed, don't be immature and start calling people sarcastic names. That's just a waste of time, and guaranteed to kill the thread.

    Let's close the thread, as you've moved to another terminal.

  10. #9
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxerGeek View Post
    What kind of stupid questions? I showed you the screenshots in the last post, see and make sure that this font is displayed and installed.
    Your line does not help.
    it is very clear that you do not want our help.


    But this is not a console, but a complete garbage, at the command ls I see a different size of folders and files on any font. I will no longer use this terminal because it does not fit visibly under small screens!And do not ask children's questions geek who has been sitting on Linux for 5 years.
    i'd demand a refund if i were you!
    clearly archlinux is a very immature and buggy distro.
    go back to ubuntu, and if that's to difficult, get a ripped windows XP CD and install that.

    what a clown.

  11. #10
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    -->
    I think I have one of those isos somewhere. Genuine XP, free, comes with most popular viruses preinstalled. I can burn it to a CD and mail out for a small fee.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •