Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: command line

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

command line

I need to run the command apt-cdrom to make cd-rom recognized by APT. BUT, in this case, it's not a cd-rom but rather a "live" pendrive.

Rick

addendum:

Perhaps it's best to I should post the "terminal" response: "Failed to fetch cdrom://Linux Mint 18.3 _Sylvia_ - Release amd64 20171213/dists/xenial/contrib/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs" So, I've got apt-cdrom..now I need the rest of the command to ensure the pendrive/"live" O.S. is recognized.

Linux Guru
    looking at all your other threads that you "SOLVED" with some seriously idiotic answers, that would have required further discussion, which you are unable to have in a reasonable manner, because you suspect everyone here is only after your small, hurt ego - let me ask this:
    why are you even using linux if you have nothing but problems with it?
    why do you keep asking questions on various linux forums, if any answer given inevitably is the wrong one, only fueled by the posters arrogance, in your opinion?
    surely no-one's forcing you?
    just get yourself a chromebook, or one of dem cheap windows 10 tablets, and be done with it.
    save yourself & several online communities further pain.
    good riddance, wixter69.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    looking at YOUR seriously idiiotic answer, I have to wonder why your even here?

Just a little F.Y.I. I went back through a number of my posts. As I've suspected, nihili has NEVER offered any good advice, given or suggested even one good solution and nowhere have I seen nihili even suggest anything remotely conceived as a worthwhile reply. For someone who deems them self as some kind of 'Linux Guru", it been proven, by you, that your not! My "learned" opinion therefore, is that you should leave these help forums and do the rest of us a favor.

He is kinda right though. You always post a silly solution that someobody else already mentioned and you pretend to have discovered it yourself. Like the login issue you were having.
    "My common sense is tingling."

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixter69 View Post
    Just a little F.Y.I. I went back through a number of my posts. As I've suspected, nihili has NEVER offered any good advice, given or suggested even one good solution and nowhere have I seen nihili even suggest anything remotely conceived as a worthwhile reply.
    again: to your threads.
    i don't think you were able to leave your ego aside for long enough to look at other people's threads.
    and yes, i try to help those who are willing to put some effort into a valid problem description, and troubleshooting.
    others, i tell that we cannot help if they do not provide that.
    i am not some sort of helpdesk that you are entitled to get help from.
    i do not support people's laziness.

btw, i do not deem myself a linux guru; the stupid forum software won't let me change it. "forum addict" would be more appropriate.

nihili may be a douchebag, I'm not saying he is, he is, but he definitely knows a sh*load about Linux and GNU. So does habit.

Sometimes they seem reluctant so share their knowledge, but it really is reluctancy to give step-by-step instructions and repeat what you can find using a simple search engine. You also have to remember you are not paying anyone and you are not generating any revenue for them, so unless you put in a little work there is no way you'll get help.

Also, every time someone says something you just ignore it and try to troubleshoot it yourself by doing what you were initially told; doing some research.

So I think everyone would agree that you are the problem here. And me. But that's another story.

Linux Guru
    stop being so smarmy, CC. it creeps me out.

Whatever do you mean? I did say you were a douchebag, didn't I?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk