Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've only built from source a few times before as I normally use RPM but I'm getting sick of trying to track down RPMs. So I was just wondering, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unbuilding from Source ;)

Hello,

I've only built from source a few times before as I normally use RPM but I'm getting sick of trying to track down RPMs. So I was just wondering, isn't building from source messy? I mean, what happens when you need to uninstall the program? Or is there a way to cleanly uninstall?

Thanks...

I know with some source packs you can state
    Code:
    make uninstall
    instaed of
    Code:
    make install
    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Is there a way to tell if that make uninstall option is available before you make install?

And you have to keep the configured source around to uninstall at a later time, right?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Audax321
    Is there a way to tell if that make uninstall option is available before you make install?
    read the file README or INSTALL that comes in the directory with the source.

Just Joined!
    You could also try some source-based package management tool, such as spk ( http://spk.sourceforge.net ).

Linux Engineer
    IMO installing pre built packages is what's messy. Building from source gives you the options to customize how it is built and where it installs to, installing a RPM gives you none of that (or very few in some cases). Mostly this is accomplished by passing options to configure, but sometimes editing the Makefile a little bit is what it takes. Not all options have a 'make uninstall', but you can find out with the command 'make -n uninstall'. The -n options means print everything, but don't actually do it, so if it does some stuff at least you know it works. Otherwise, you'll have to delete everything manually, check 'make -n install' to see where it puts everything, these are what must be deleted.

Just Joined!
    I compile my programs like this:

./configure
    make
    checkinstall -S -y

Somebody sayd me that if you do packages from programs what are made of sources you can uninstall them with any pgkmanager.

(That's why checkinstall instead of make install)

Linux Enthusiast
    Or in the case of Gentoo's portage system, it takes care of the cleanup for you- saves loads of time.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050