Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Mandrake 10.1 .I have been using Kde TV without a hitch.Yesterday I installed RealPlayer 10 in my home directory.I don't know if it was coincidence or the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kde TV sound ok but black screen

I am running Mandrake 10.1 .I have been using Kde TV without a hitch.Yesterday I installed RealPlayer 10 in my home directory.I don't know if it was coincidence or the RealPlayer install but I have lost my picture in Kde TV.Sound is fine but the screen is completey black.I logged into my root and Kde TV works perfectly fine.When I am logged in as my normal user,I can open Kde TV and click on adjust picture.The sliders for the diferrent colors are all in the middle except "white".I slide it to the middle and click ok,but it snaps right back to the left(min).I put it in the middle again and click defualts.Once again it moves itself to minimum.

Why is this happening.What does KDE TV use that RealPlayer would have messed with?I assume it only affects my account because RealPlaer is in my home directory.

Just Joined!
    After several reboots into Mandrake KDETV still showed the black screen with good sound under my user.I rebooted into XP and then back into Mandrake and it all works fine.I don't understand why!!,my root account in Mandrake always ran the KDETV even when my user account wouldn't.Booting to Windows shouldn't have affected anything

Just Joined!

Suse 9.2 Kdtv unable to view video

Running SuSe 9.2 ,just installed this OS, and a Linux newbie, The Kdetv scanned all the channels, and receives them all with audio perfectly,only just a black screen, Says, "Unable to grab video , Video plug in error","Play with options of the V4L plugin" . Which I have done to no avail. It's a Happuage WinTv card. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks !

Just Joined!
    I'm having similiar problem to can564.
    I've got a newly installed Suse 9.2 system with a Hauppauge card, and was able to get KDE TV working with sound and video, after a bit of a struggle (it was unable to detect channels by scanning, but importing west-europe defaults worked, and then I had to reconfigure sound card from Yast to get audio working).

However, I ran up various DVD and CD apps today, and that causes a black screen in kdetv, although audio remains perfect.
    One fix, is to log out, start KDE TV as another user (which works ok) and then log in again. Not sure if logout/login was all it took, and running up KDE TV under the other username is really needed ... will try that next time.

This can be reproduced as readily as starting up Totem while KDE TV is playing.
    I've done a 'find -newer' from root to find all files newer than the time Totem was started up, but I can't see any likely candidates in the file list. I even tried deleting kdetvrc and .xine/catalog.cache, but TV window is still black on restart.

So how do other apps interfere with kdetv ?
    This is the sort of thing we slam M$-Windows for ... but then as a primarily Solaris/CDE user I would criticise Linux distros for overly mimicking the Windoze experience

Just Joined!
    OK, logging out and in again is enough to fix it. No need to log in as anybody else in between.

So what does Totem do to my volatile user settings ?!