Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am thinking of making a Linux From Scratch distro for my new computer if I get into the beta for the parts. So does any one know about what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I need a list of files for a linux from scratch distro to...

I am thinking of making a Linux From Scratch distro for my new computer if I get into the beta for the parts. So does any one know about what I would need to make a LFS distro in 64BIT and for Dual CPUs.
    I am going to need every file up to getting online and downloading so I can get the rest because I will be moving this harddrive to the other to install all that.
    I will probably have the drivers I need for all this so we don't have to bother with that.
    BTW: Is their a program that I could install on a LFS distro to be able to install RPMs
    BTW2: It says that their are three modes of the opteron I can't remember the names but here is what I do remember.
    32BIT OS and 32BIT programs
    64BIT OS and 32BBIT programs
    64BIT OS and 64BIT programs
    What is the OS in this case. Is it just the kernel or what.
    Please don't ask where I am getting this.
    P.S It will need to support S-ATA, EIDE, FIREWIRE, 8X USB PORTS, AGP 8X, TV-OUT (maybe), and dual monitors (again maybe if I have enough money to get more)
    Ahhh I can't thing of another: Can I install a 64BIT OS from a 32BIT install of redhat9.0 and can I compile a 64BIT program from a 32BIT program.

Sorry if the things it needs to support are stupid but I don't deal much with the kernel and software I am more of a hardware person.

Linux Guru
    Do you actually have an Opteron? I didn't even think AMD (Opteron is AMD's 64-bit CPU, right) had released those yet. Where did you get such hardware from? Didn't you say that you had no money?!

Anyway, to be honest with you, I'm not sure that there actually is 64 bit support for Opteron in Linux. I believe that Intel and AMD are using different 64 bit architectures, isn't that right?

Even if there is support and everything, you would need a cross-compiling GCC to compile a 64-bit kernel and the 64-bit base programs under a 32-bit playform, and I really have no idea if GCC even has an Opteron back-end at all.

If you get the kernel and GCC to work at all, though, the rest of the hardware will be no problem. The PCI bus is still the same as it always has been.

Just Joined!
    What I meant by I don't have any money is I can't use any money online without dad's credit card and thus can't give any one money because he doesn't see it fit to give people money for nothing.
    As you can see he is not the giving type.
    Ok I admit I was a bit vague so here are some links

http://www.x86-64.com/
    64BIT linux^^^

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...iption=opteron
    Opteron ^^^^

OK now this is a odd question I am sorry if anyone should know this but

Experimental versions of GCC and binutils that can generate AMD64 code are available from the CVS repository.
    If you have a compiler that is 64BIT does that mean you can compile anything that uses the compiler to compile it in 64BIT.
    And if so can I use that ^^^

Linux Guru
    Oh! Is the x86-64 architecture AMD's architecture? There you see; I was wondering what it was. Then I guess Linux is supported on it. There's no telling how stable it is, though. It is in the official kernel sources, though. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

As for GCC, what you will need is a 32-bit compiler that can generate 64-bit output. That's what's called a cross-compiler, since it compiles for architectures other than the one it's running on. I've only had i386 architectures this far, so I don't know how it works. But it's probably not going to be too easy compiling Linux for AMD64. It should also be far from impossible, on the other hand.

Anyway, yes, if you get the latest CVS version of GCC, you will be able to generate AMD64 code, it seems. I don't know how to compile GCC to actually make it willing to do that, though. It probably says in the docs, though.

Please note, though, that at this time, it's not certain that using an Opteron is actually better than using a normal x86, since the code probably isn't as optimized as the x86 code.

Just Joined!
    Please note, though, that at this time, it's not certain that using an Opteron is actually better than using a normal x86, since the code probably isn't as optimized as the x86 code.
    I know I just think I will need it for later days.

I think I am going to get the susu distro then compile a lfs from that.
    The reason I ask about the compiling is I used windows for a vary long time and I was just used to it.
    So I didn't know that you just need the correct compiler for your system.

P.S please tell me if this is right.
    A compiler is a program that takes instructions from the source file and compile the new program.

Linux Guru
    A compiler takes human readable source code and generates machine code from it. Since the AMD64 machine code differs from the old 32-bit intel architecture (IA32, as it's commonly referred to), you will naturally need a different compiler, that generates AMD64 code instead of IA32 code.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm that is what I was thinking sort of.
    Well anyway thanks.