Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I recently installed madrake10 and run KDE 3.2 and icewm as my gui. One thing i miss is notepad :a no frills text editor with a simple menu to open ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

basic text editor

I recently installed madrake10 and run KDE 3.2 and icewm as my gui. One thing i miss is notepad :a no frills text editor with a simple menu to open save close files and saves in .txt.

Now that I am using Linux things hae gotten confusing for me. Kwrite is fine but takes a while to open and has features mostly for programmers (which i am not). And the text encoding is bizarre (ie heard of ascii but utf8 and all that is bizarre to me). I used Vim but that too is for programmers and the interface is not to my liking. Openoffice is fine but I want something more lightweight.

All this to ask if anyone knows of a gui gpl text editor rpm (no compile) I can download for Mandrake10. An editor that saves in .txt format or .rtf and has a gui interface.

thanks

Linux User
    I really like Leafpad, it's the absolute bare minimum and depends only on GTK2. It looks like they have an RPM, as well, though it's one of the easiest compiles I've seen. It's still referred to as alpha on Freshmeat, but I haven't had any issues.

Get it Here

edit: oops, sorry, no .rtf
    Maybe Scite? It's a rather powerful programmer's editor, but the interface is clean.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Enthusiast
    nano is nice.
    As for formats, .txt isn't a format, it's just an extension that windows sticks on because it's too dumb to even try and guess a file's type by ANYTHING other than the extension, even though most types of files start with a header that identifies the type... That's why Linux will label things as being of a particular type no matter what extension it has.

As for rtf, I think that's windows only, and rtf isn't very useful.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux User
    Regarding RTF, I know that Abiword can handle it, but I agree, it's not very useful unless someone demands it (a friend has such a prof at university)
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

In X windows I prefer gedit and kate second. From the command line I think vi is the easiest to learn and use.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Engineer
    SciTE is the only editor I use now in gui. For console I use nano, used to use vim, but I don't care for the complexness of it anymore, especially when nano is easier to use and can do all I need it to do.

if your in kde and want an extreamly basic editor, Kedit is the thing, should be on one of your install CD's.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

I'm fond of nano and pico (part of Pine).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I like joe

Its light, it comes _allmost_ always with the distro and it's easy to use.

Ctrl + K + H displays help file top of the sceen, and you can mobify your document while reading it.

Hey Scourge,

I just tried joe for the first time and I like it too! For some reason, I've been having trouble with vi in Slackware. The delete key won't delete sometimes, which is a problem I've not had with vi under SuSE, Mepis or Fedora.

Joe is a lot like vi. I believe I'll use it for a while, thanks for the tip!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast