Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been tring to get Eclipse running on Mandrake 10 for several days now. I've tried updating GTK+ to 2.6.1, and all I got were a few new errors. If ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Eclipse 3 on Mandrake 10 [solved]

I've been tring to get Eclipse running on Mandrake 10 for several days now. I've tried updating GTK+ to 2.6.1, and all I got were a few new errors. If anyone's seen this problem before, I'd appreciate any help. When I try to start eclipse from the console (declaring the virtual machine with -vm) I get the eclipse splash then it promptly dies and spits out the folowing error messages. The first section deals with my main problem. The last two lines are new. They appeared after I upgraded GTK. (I'm running KDE if that makes a difference). I know it's not a problem with the jre. I've tested it seperately from eclipse, and it runs fine. My (speculative) guess is that there's a problem with the particular build of Mandrake I'm using. (btw, I've done dozens of google searches and found only spatterings of others with the same problems, none of which had actually solved them as far as I could tell..)

My errors msgs (from the console):
    Code:
    org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to find system bundle manifest file.
            at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.SystemBundleData.createManifest(SystemBundleData.java:73)
            at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.SystemBundleData.<init>&#40;SystemBundleData.java&#58;34&#41;
            at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.AbstractFrameworkAdaptor.createSystemBundleData&#40;AbstractFrameworkAdaptor.java&#58;294&#41;
            at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SystemBundle.<init>&#40;SystemBundle.java&#58;41&#41;
            at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.createSystemBundle&#40;Framework.java&#58;187&#41;
            at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.initialize&#40;Framework.java&#58;152&#41;
            at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.<init>&#40;Framework.java&#58;95&#41;
            at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.createFramework&#40;OSGi.java&#58;90&#41;
            at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.<init>&#40;OSGi.java&#58;31&#41;
            at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup&#40;EclipseStarter.java&#58;215&#41;
            at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run&#40;EclipseStarter.java&#58;127&#41;
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0&#40;Native Method&#41;
            at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke&#40;NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java&#58;39&#41;
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke&#40;DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java&#58;25&#41;
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke&#40;Method.java&#58;585&#41;
            at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun&#40;Main.java&#58;185&#41;
            at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run&#40;Main.java&#58;704&#41;
            at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main&#40;Main.java&#58;688&#41;

&#40;eclipse&#58;10946&#41;&#58; Gtk-WARNING **&#58; Unable to locate theme engine in module_path&#58; "galaxy",

&#40;eclipse&#58;10946&#41;&#58; Gtk-WARNING **&#58; Unable to locate theme engine in module_path&#58; "galaxy",
    Auto generated error log (very similar)
    Code:
    !SESSION Jan 27, 2005 00&#58;18&#58;42.855 ---------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=M200409161125
    java.version=1.5.0_01
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants&#58; OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi Jan 27, 2005 00&#58;18&#58;42.856
    !MESSAGE Startup error
    !STACK 1
    java.lang.RuntimeException&#58; Exception while creating System Bundle&#58; Unable to find system bundle manifest file.
    	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.createSystemBundle&#40;Framework.java&#58;253&#41;
    	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.initialize&#40;Framework.java&#58;152&#41;
    	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.<init>&#40;Framework.java&#58;95&#41;
    	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.createFramework&#40;OSGi.java&#58;90&#41;
    	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.<init>&#40;OSGi.java&#58;31&#41;
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup&#40;EclipseStarter.java&#58;215&#41;
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run&#40;EclipseStarter.java&#58;127&#41;
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke&#40;NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java&#58;39&#41;
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke&#40;DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java&#58;25&#41;
    !SESSION Thu Jan 27 00&#58;18&#58;42 EST 2005 ------------------------------------------
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.launcher 4 0 Jan 27, 2005 24&#58;18&#58;42.860
    !MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform&#58;
    !STACK
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run&#40;EclipseStarter.java&#58;138&#41;
    FYI, if it isn't obvious, I'm a noob to linux. I'd be most appreciative if any help was dumbed down a bit so I don't get too lost in methods and commands I don't know yet.

can you post exactly what you are typing to start this? I always jsut use eclipse-3 but get none of this extra debugging output, it might have something to do with how its finding your vm, if you declare a location, then its appending PREFIX or PATH to that...
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    Have you tested by downgrading your GTK2?
    Since Eclipse doesnt have any "setup" it's almost certain it requires special linked file, but this s only a guess
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    For the longest time I was typing ./eclipse -vm /usr/java/jdk5/bin/java (or variants on that depending on the directory I was in). When I dont' declare the virtual machine, I don't even get the splash. Instead I get an error alert that says the VM can't be fould in the default directory which is /usr/java/eclipseGTK/jre/bin/java. I've also tried using different executables at the VM including java_vm and the java executables in other folders like $java_home/jre/bin/java/, $java_home/bin/java/, and a couple others. (I can't remember them offhand and I posting from a different computer right now). I got tired of setting the VM path each time after a while so I tried setting the $PATH enviornment variable to /usr/java/jdk5/bin/java (or something similar) and it "worked" in the same way as if I had used the -vm parameter, but still didn't actually work and crashed moments after the splah appeared as it had before. My guess is that it does have something to do with an enviornment variable or two, but I dont' really know squat about them yet or how to use them, so I don't know how to go about trying/testing different values. Oh, I did do some digging around in the eclipse folders and found the jar that eclipse was trying to access or read or generate a manifest from. (Again, I can't remember the name offhand, but I'll look when I get home.) So, It's also possible that it's having trouble reading one of it's own files, though I doubt that rules out the VM as being the culprit. By "found" I mean I looked through the files in it and found the directory structure described in the error message. I didn't find any of the .java files listed in the error report, but I did find the compiled .class equivilants. I couldn't think of anything to do with that discovery though so I gave up on it.

As for the GTK. I was actually having the same loading problems before I upgraded. The only change after I made the upgrade was the GTK warnings at the bottom of the console printout. After that I tracked down an RPM that supposedly installed the galaxy module (it also asked my to put in one of my install discs), but there was no change afterward. I ran ldconfig at random times to see if it made a difference (for either problem) but there was no apparent change.[/i]

Just Joined!
    UPDATE:

I figured it out! And now I feel kinda silly..

It turned out that unzipping the eclipse...zip file did more than just decompress the files inside it. Before, I was unzipping into my "installers" folder then moving the new .../eclipse directory to /usr/java/ where I wanted to actaully keep it. That's what I had done every time I had installed it in Windows and I though it would certainly work the same way in Linux. I thought wrong. On a hunch I had after reading from another (very unclear) forum, I tried unzipping it straight into /usr/java/ instead. I switched to command line, ran the command just as before (still declaring the VM) and, lo-and-behold, it started just fine.

Thanks for taking a look anyway guys.

..sigh... and I spent how many days trying to figure this out? Oh well.

Oh, BTW: I still get the GTK warnings though. They didn't keep eclipse from starting up right though, so I'm not going to worry about it right now...