Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Didn't work. It works only the first time when it launches after installation. Then it just hangs and nothing happens. It must be something else. Any other thoughts?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Didn't work. It works only the first time when it launches after installation. Then it just hangs and nothing happens. It must be something else.

Any other thoughts?

Just Joined!

Similar Problem

Linux newb here playing around with Mandrake 10.1 in bid to get off Win2k.

Installed Firefox into usr/local (originally tried usr/share but had same problem). Problem is it only works if I ./firefox it from command line as su. As soon as I try from ordinary user it looks like it's cranking up (hourglass, etc) and then disappears. Same thing if I try from command prompt as ordinary user; it churns for a while and reverts to prompt with no messages or errors. Log in as su and Firefox works fine. I even set the firefox permission to all rwx (since owner is root) but still have problem with any other user.

Any info appreciated.

firefox is included with Mandrake 10.1

Rid yourself of the hassle and have it show up in the menus:

urpmi mozilla-firefox
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

go into the Firefox-installer folder, you will see the firefox icon. It may not look like the one that you get in Windows, but, if you pull that to the desktop and click on Link here, you should be all set.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Flatline.... tried that... get "no package named mozilla-firefox". Also tried through 'Configure your Computer' package installer and search for firefox, doesn't find it either. I downloaded the 3 installation CD's from Mandrake site.

In the software installer tool in the Mandrake Control Center, search for firefox. It should find it.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    flatline... wow quick response, thanks. It's the Mandrake software installer that doesn't find anything called firefox. I'm now browsing around to see if I need to set up some other source (media) for software downloading, or something like that, and try that way.

Still would be nice to know why it doesn't seem to work in this case.

You could try searching for mozilla too (a couple of different searches can't hurt). There's also a site that will help walk you through setting urpmi up with alternate sources that should have firefox included:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Was just on that site, lol. I'l play around and post back with the results either way.

Thanks for the help.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so i uninstalled firefox (deleted the directory), and using the Software Installer also uninstalled something called just plain 'mozilla' (which also removed a dependent app called epiphany, which is a pity 'cos I could use one of those about now). Then configured media using easyurpmi, no problem. Then went to software installer again, and searched for firefox and found it! So installed it, got an installed successfully message and it created icon in 'web browser' folder and everything.

At this stage I was cooking with gas and clicked the icon. Minor problem in that when I click on it, it shows the starting firefox bit in taskbar including little hourglass, churns for about 20-30 seconds, then it just disappears from task bar and no Firefox!!!! Which is exactly the problem I had when installed manually, except I could run it as root from the command prompt.

Only way i can get it to run is to go to command prompt, login as su, then go to usr/bin/ dir and type ./mozilla-firefox This works perfectly, cranks up browser, etc. no problems. But I just can't do it as the user that installed it. Logging on as a second user I created and clicking the icon works fine as well. So it sounds like a permissions issue with first user.

Will keep hunting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast