Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Check to see whether the new user you created is in a group that the original user wasn't a member of....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Check to see whether the new user you created is in a group that the original user wasn't a member of.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Ok, narrowed down the problem and have workaround, but still don't understand why it happens.

So checked users groups, (only had 2 user accounts) each only belonged to group of own name - one works the other doesn't. Deleted the user I'm having problems with (incl home and mail dirs) and recreated it. Still no joy. Created 2 more new user accounts and they run Firefox with no problem. So finally renamed the offending user account (just appended a char to end), leaving home dir the same and now it too runs Firefox with no problems.

Other info: the user account giving me all the grief is the first user that I created during the Mandrake installation. Also the one I went to su from to install Firefox. Also the original account name was 'jose' and is now renamed to 'josec' and is still part of 'jose' group only as well as 'jose' home directory (in case you were thinking maybe account name was a reserved keyword or something.)

Anyway, have workaround so will now move on to learning / installing Samba and network shared printers, etc. That was a 'fun' start to my learning Linux mission, lol.

Flatline: Thanks for the help and pointers in trying to resolve this sucker.
    Sheds: sounds like your problem is/was identical to mine. Try the workaround suggested above and let us know if it helps.

Gonna try that as soon as i get home from work. Thanks man, i'll let you know really soon.

I already started the samba learning process and from one newb to another, i can suggest you try SWAT: it makes the smb.conf file much easier to read and you can use a browser to GUI yourself in the server configuration.

Thanks for the info, contact you really soon.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi dudes.

Houdinihound found his work around for this issue and i have found mine. I was attempting what he suggested, but as usual, i rendered my Os inoperable, and since i didn't know how to fix what i changed from shell, then i had to reinstall linux. Doing so, i selected standard security and now everything works. Firefox looks and loades amazingly. :P Right there is when i figured that it's not really something wrong with firefox or my installation, it's just a matter of priviliges or permissions, who knows.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3