Find the answer to your Linux question:
dont know where to post this. but here it goes. I installed crossover office on mandrake. i had to restart because my memory was running low. and when i restarted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

serious problem? x windows

dont know where to post this. but here it goes. I installed crossover office on mandrake. i had to restart because my memory was running low. and when i restarted it went straight into the console type thingy. i ve never dealt with it so i dunno much. i think its called x windows or something. it wont go into graphical mode. help me?? coz i cant do much without going into kde

Linux Engineer
    simply login, and type
    Code:
    startx
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

li
    Just Joined!
    presuming that running startx works,
    when you restart your computer again, if KDE loads up as usual, then your okay.
    if not, then your going to have to edit your /etc/inittab file, and make sure that your runlevel is set to 5.

Code:
    id:5:initdefault:

Linux Guru

Re: serious problem? x windows

Quote Originally Posted by liljhand
    and when i restarted it went straight into the console type thingy. i ve never dealt with it so i dunno much. i think its called x windows or something. it wont go into graphical mode. help me?? coz i cant do much without going into kde
    Hoping the previous posts will help with your immediate problem, that console thingy can come in handy sometimes.

Here is a brief list of commonly used commands.
    Guide to the Command Line from LFDO tutorials section
    Code:
    $ apropos keyword
    Enter 'apropos' (or apro <tab>) at the command line, along with any keyword like 'copy', 'filename', 'console', whatever to get a list of commands that relate to that keyword. Then, to find out more about a command:
    Code:
    $ man commandname
    will get the MANual page for command 'commandname'. If that manual page doesn't help enough, be sure and page-down to the end of it to see a list of related commands.
    Finally, try to get a copy of Linux Pocket Guide published by O'Reilly. It's less than $10, but a really useful reference.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    simply login, and type
    Code:
    startx
    oh thanks never knew that

Quote Originally Posted by li
    presuming that running startx works,
    when you restart your computer again, if KDE loads up as usual, then your okay.
    if not, then your going to have to edit your /etc/inittab file, and make sure that your runlevel is set to 5.
    yes. now it goes straight into graphical mode. but do you know why did it do that in the first place?

Linux Engineer
    If im not misunderstanding the way it works, I think it'll boot in terminal everytime you recompile something that touches X lib or X executable itself... is this your case... I dont have a clue
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps