Find the answer to your Linux question:
can anyone explain me the difference between OPEN SOURCE DATABASES and COMMERCIAL DATABASES............and also whether Ingres is which type......thanx...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

databases

can anyone explain me the difference between OPEN SOURCE DATABASES and COMMERCIAL DATABASES............and also whether Ingres is which type......thanx

Linux Engineer

Re: databases

Quote Originally Posted by varun_33
    can anyone explain me the difference between OPEN SOURCE DATABASES and COMMERCIAL DATABASES............and also whether Ingres is which type......thanx
    If I look at the reviews, Ingres wanted to become open-sourced lat year... They should be by now...

Open source (database, program, app, OS) are all the same, Open sourced... I dont know any real dictionnary exemple... Open source basicly meens, that you have access to the code... compile it youself and boom... you have the same product... you can customize it the way you exactly want it... as for COmmercial Database... Well one that Im sure, is Microsoft SQL 2000....
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Engineer
    Yep, Ingres is open source.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close