Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry I also posted this in Linux Desktops in error.... I'm currently running Thunderbird and Firefox under Mandrake 10.1 and KDE 3.2. I have two problems however. First If I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with Firefox and Thunderbird

Sorry I also posted this in Linux Desktops in error....

I'm currently running Thunderbird and Firefox under Mandrake 10.1 and KDE 3.2. I have two problems however. First If I'm emailed a llink to a URL (in Thunderbird) and click on it Mozilla loads instead of Firefox. I've looked through the Thunderbird settings, but I can't find a way to get Firefox to boot instead. Secondly if I'm at a web page in Firefox and there is an email link and I cllick it I get an error message that 'mailto is not a recognised protocol'.

Help on both issues would be much appreciated.

As for the first question, do you have FF set as the default web browser?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux User
    Well, I do this with Sylpheed-Claws where the script is very easy. However, I seem to recall reading that with Thunderbird you have to strip some protocol data so it's not exactly the same. Basically, you need to create a script, mine is .mailto.sh in my home directory, and then register it as a protocol in about:config by entering the preference:
    name: network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
    type: string
    setting: /home/ethyriel/.mailto.sh

Like I said, my script is simple:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sylpheed-claws --compose "$@"
    I'm sure searching google.com/linux for 'network.protocol-handler.app.mailto thunderbird' will get you a script.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: Problems with Firefox and Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by gododdin
    Sorry I also posted this in Linux Desktops in error....

I'm currently running Thunderbird and Firefox under Mandrake 10.1 and KDE 3.2. I have two problems however. First If I'm emailed a llink to a URL (in Thunderbird) and click on it Mozilla loads instead of Firefox. I've looked through the Thunderbird settings, but I can't find a way to get Firefox to boot instead. Secondly if I'm at a web page in Firefox and there is an email link and I cllick it I get an error message that 'mailto is not a recognised protocol'.

Help on both issues would be much appreciated.

Second question, theres a link, where's a tag what's supposed to start your mailing program and put specific address into it allready, like this.

link text

And there is missing :

Or something. Anyway. Look at the source or look the link when your mouse is howering on to it what email address it is what it's trying to email to.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice - I'm away from home for a couple of days now, but will try what you suggest when I return.

Just Joined!

Backing Out of Firefox & Thunderbird to Mozilla

Firefox and Thunderbird should never have been released to Linux in such weak and less-than-XP versions, it is embarassing and frustrating.

That said, I need to know how to back out of these apps to Mozilla where things work and the browser and E-mail apps talk to each other.

I need to be sure that this process does not lose E-mail folders and content and integrates the data gathered by Firefox and Thunderbird together with the data still somewhere on the HDD from Mozilla prior to the failed experiment.

Is this possible or am I looking at hours of tinkering with questionable probability of success?

Thanks! doc

Just Joined!
    this will fix the mailto: problem, before doing this make sure firefox is not running.
    open the file ~/.mozilla/firefox/*****default/prefs.js and enter user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/path/to/thunderbird");
    dont forget to replace /path/to/thunderbird with the real path in your box.

cheers