Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Redhat 8.0 and decided i was going to try and install wu-ftpd that came with it, from the beginning i had problems come to find out my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wu-ftpd bluezz

I am running Redhat 8.0 and decided i was going to try and install wu-ftpd that came with it, from the beginning i had problems come to find out my provider has port 21 bloked so i figured i would change the port wu-ftpd uses i tried doing this by picking a port that was obscure i chose port 8082. I added it to the /etc/services file with the following command.

localhost> echo "ftp2 8082" >> /etc/services

Then i added the lines to my /etc/xinetd.conf

{
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
    server_args = -a -l -i -o -t 300 -T 300 -W
    }

I then configured passive mode in /etc/ftpaccess by adding

passive address ( WAN IP ADDRESS HERE) 0.0.0.0/0
    passive ports 0.0.0.0/0 40000 41000
    pasv-allow all 192.168.0.0/24
    port-allow all 192.168.0.0/24

Because I use a lynksys router I forwarded ports 8082, 20 , 40000-41000 for both tcp and udp connections to the linux boxes ip. I thought i had it whooped.... I was wrong. If anyone can help me get wu-ftpd to work behind a router on a different port then 21 I would much appreciate it

Linux Guru
    I thought i had it whooped.... I was wrong.
    In just what way were you wrong? What happens? Can other computers connect to the server or not? Do you get any error messages in /var/log/messages or similar?

Just Joined!
    I can connect to the server from other computers on my home network if i use the routers ip of 192.168.1.101. No one from the outside can get in . when i try to connect with my wan ip i get connection refused and I also thought to check the logs but i only see vsftpd.log in /var/logs no wu-ftpd. My apologies for my ignorance

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    wu-ftpd doesn't log in its own log files. It logs via syslog, so you'd better check /var/log/messages or so instead. You were running RH8, right? Install ethereal (for gnome, it's very convient) and see what happens when someone tries to connect through the router (from the outside). If you don't get a TCP SYN packet, either your router is misconfigured or your ISP's evil.