Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running K3b, it says that I should set 2 programs to setuid permissons, and it set it for me. (I checked) Anyone seen this? Error 255? Then after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Error 255: burning with K3b, what's it mean?

I am running K3b, it says that I should set 2 programs to setuid permissons, and it set it for me. (I checked)

Anyone seen this? Error 255?

Then after going through all the options, when I finnally get to burn, it says
    Size calculated:57120 blocks
    Using cdrecord 2.0.3 - Copyright (c) 1992-2002 jorg Schilling
    Starting to write at 48x speed...
    cdrecord returned an unkown error (code 255)
    Unkown error 255
    Please send me an email with the last output.
    and the debugging info
    /usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid backup2005_02_07 -volset -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.17 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher -preparer K3b - Version 0.11.17 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-jake/k3boiGgkc.tmp -rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-jake/k3bJ6sBrb.tmp -joliet -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-jake/k3bU2rTHb.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-jake/k3b16dJ6a.tmp /home/jake/.kde/share/apps/k3b/temp/dummydir0/
    Only thing I can think of is maybe I need to put my cddrive (/dev/hdd) into a burning group, and put my user into it too, but then wouldn't I be getting some kind of permission error if it was just that?
    --monkey

I believe that 255 is a permissions based error, try burning as root, should this be sucessful, then try to correct the group permisssions as nessicary. burning is a common one to miss when adding your default user to groups, normaly k3b can correct permissions pretty well itself, but guess not this time....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    I believe that 255 is a permissions based error, try burning as root, should this be sucessful, then try to correct the group permisssions as nessicary. burning is a common one to miss when adding your default user to groups, normaly k3b can correct permissions pretty well itself, but guess not this time....
    So what permissions do you suggest setting? I currently have (It *looks* like the SUID was set correctly, so I don't think that's the problem)
    Code:
    $ ls -l /usr/bin/cdrecord 
    -rws--x--x  1 root root 279324 2003-08-17 19:38 /usr/bin/cdrecord*
    $ ls -l /usr/bin/cdrdao   
    -rws--x--x  1 root root 563540 2004-06-08 14:57 /usr/bin/cdrdao*
    $ ls -l /dev/hdd        
    brw-rw-rw-  1 root disk 22, 64 2002-06-09 14:27 /dev/hdd
    What about adding a burning group? I think when I installed slack a long time ago, in order to let my regular user read the cddrive to rip music to the HD had something to do with creating a group and setting the drives group permission I think.

If I need something like that, how would I do it?

(Note: I know my cddrive is /dev/hdd and k3b did pick that up correctly as well)
    --monkey

Just Joined!

permission based?

I am not sure what 255 is but I have this error periodically. I think that it is either cashe or speed related. Mine says error 255 unknown error. it happens early in the setup stages for burning a cd. This might also just be a general error code that may be spawned because of any fatal errors that occur in the code. I have noticed that on my burner that sometimes changing the manual cashe settings turning them off or on and or changing the speed may affect this. I don't really know for sure what the problem is but I almost always run as root as bad as that may be. I have not seen any differance as root or any other user. Sometimes if I reboot the problem will persist. Sometimes a cold boot will fix it. I have gone to the legnths of unplugging my machine and then just for voodoo sake unplugging my power lead on my drive. I have seen this error only on cd/dvd burners not that it won't happen on cd burners. I just don't know for sure but I really don't think that the problem that I am having is permission related. But as stated above I am not sure if it is a general "hey something is wrong" type of error code or a specific "hey this is wrong' type of error code. I think that I have this program set for all users and for it to run su but like I say I almost always stay logged in as root even if it is a giant no no.
    --Jeff--

Just Joined!

hardware

oh by the way I am running a Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1633s on an intel main board with an intel ide controller. As for the board/controller it should be no frills but steady as a rock. the drive is nothing special by today's standards but contemporary. It may be an issue with the drive but I have seen the same thing on an AOpen drive in another machine. perhaps a later rev will fix this issue. At least that was what I hoped the last 2 rev's. It does seem to be less frequent. Like I said my issue is intermittent. If any of this helps anybody I am glad. I was hoping that I would see a response like "oh yea! I fixed that by" hopefully I will be able to post one of those soon. I have also not seen much differance in cd manufacturers or file types. Not much help. I think that it is always before Power Optimization. Sometimes it will tell me to use a lower speed. Sometimes this works sometimes not so much. *eh*
    --Jeff--

Just Joined!

try upgrading versions

I am running 0.11.20 and it seems to be less frequent. However we are in a different phase of the moon and Uranius is in declanation or something. If this fails try anointing your cdrom drive with olive oil praying and casting out daemons. I don't recomend animal sacrifice though.

--Jeff--

R2
    Just Joined!
    I just changed the media (the CD itself) and it seems to work. Maybe this error is related to the CD and not the burner.

En changeant le média (le CD lui-même), ça a réglé le problème. Peut-être que l'erreur est liée au CD et pas au graveur.

Just Joined!
    It's true that code 255 has something to with permissions. I changed permissions on /dev/ - directory. In every file, which have something to do with cd/dvd device (for example cdrw, cdrom, cdwriter and so on), I gave to the owner all permissions There was only read and write permissions but NOT execute permission. Now I can record!

Just Joined!
    i have the same problem the 255 problem and i'm starting on linux

linder2

could you please explain me how to change the permisions on the /dev/ -directory

hi fxfvd !!
    Quote Originally Posted by fxfvd
    could you please explain me how to change the permisions on the /dev/ -directory
    to change permissions.. man chmod...

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First