Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
What I like least about it is first metacity (yes, yes not bluecurve but GNOME2, but anyway), and the metacity theme that they did. This thing with rounded corners that's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

What I like least about it is first metacity (yes, yes not bluecurve but GNOME2, but anyway), and the metacity theme that they did. This thing with rounded corners that's been wandering about in the Real World for some years and now have reached the desktop managers (Win XP, bluecurve, etc...) is really not for. It does look a bit more ... can't find the word in english ("fjolligt", as I'd say in Swedish, can someone translate it?) ... which I do understand makes a lot of people like it, but I really don't. It's not nearly as crisp as the old rectangular themes. I like most parts of the bluecurve gtk+ theme, though.
    The thing that I don't like about metacity is that it's not half as configurable as sawfish is, and configurability is much of makes up a unix system. (That's why I'm really thrilled over the Hurd)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamdest
    Bluecurve is a combination of KDE and Gnome, with some extra Red Hat things thrown into the mix. Im running RH8, and personally, i like it. its all a matter of taste. it eats up a bit more memory, but it looks very polished. they combined everything i liked about KDE and Gnome, and put it on their CD. incidentally, if you dont like it, KDE and Gnome are still available. but really, that will always be a matter of taste. its just that the decision is now Bluecurve/Gnome/KDE instead of Gnome/KDE.
    gotta agree on that one, i used to be an gnome fan but since redhat 8.0 if been using about 90% of the time bleucurve/kde ... never thought this would happen

Linux Enthusiast
    personal pick - KDE

Just Joined!
    I use Gnome, but only because I don't know any better... seriously. I got really pissed off at XP the other day and said, "F*&% it!". I installed RH8 and I'm learning as I go.

I am pretty PC literate and learning pretty fast, I think. I am A+ certified and will be taking my Net+ cert at the end of April. I am going to school for a degree in Computer Science, Microsoft Engineering and at the end of my school, I should -fingers crossed- have my MCSE and MCSA.

See, it's not that I don't like Microsoft, it's that I don't like they way they do somethings. So I want to broaden (sp?) my experiences.

Anyway, I thought that this would be as good as place as any to introduce myself.

PS> yowwww, love your newbie guide. I understood it and learned from it.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykotik
    A question, if you will. What's the deal on people saying a while back that RH is crippling KDE with this Bluecurve idea?
    http://www.mosfet.org/noredhat.html

check it out

Linux Enthusiast
    Glad to see you benefitted from the guide, Guy.

I, like you, considered myself pretty knowledgeable within windows before I started to use linux. The hardest part was trying to find good, clear and concise explanations on how to do things, so after my frustration, I decided to write my own.

You seem like a pretty smart fellow so I would think you'll get used to Linux pretty fast. I have only been using it for about 2 months or so and I feel very comfortable with it at this point. There is always something to learn though - which is great cause then you never get bored or tired of it like I did with windows.

My problems with windows were that I didn't like the MS attitude (all about money) and plus I didn't like the interface much given the lack of controllability. I like to configure things myself now. I found XP was a system hog and wasted a lot of my ram. I still use windows for filesharing cause that is one thing that needs to be improved in linux, but I can't blame linux for that, it is up to the program writers to write linux versions. Other than that, I find that linux software is in a lot of ways superior to windows.

Thanks again!

Just Joined!
    I feel pretty much the same way about MS.

There are still a few things that I'm not catching onto right away, like the file system and navagation for RH... it has me puzzled, but I will prevail.... lol.

Linux Enthusiast
    navigation is easy, it's just a series of directories.
    you have your root and then you have your /home/user directory which you can do whatever you want with and it doesn't really affect anything.
    you'll catch on, it's quite easy when you get used to it

Kriss, thanks for that link. Pretty interesting read. I also ditched RH8 when I heard about all that crud, been happily living with Mandrake 9.0 since, and now that 9.1 is out, I'll be installing that in a while once I get it.

Just Joined!
    You know RH 9 comes out on March 31 for RH Members and April 7 for everyone else.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast