Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
yeah, the members get it one week in advance - what a huge deal! lol I'll be getting it soon after that and then I will upgrade my 8.1 to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

yeah, the members get it one week in advance - what a huge deal! lol

I'll be getting it soon after that and then I will upgrade my 8.1 to 9 on my backup machine. I hope 9 is a way better than 8.0!

Linux Engineer

I don't mind MS

A lot of linux users really despise Microsoft but the reality is, they are a company that makes money. I run Windows 2000 and Debian and I have no problems in having both OSes on my pc. I see a lot of people complaining about Microsoft and how evil they are but like everything else in life, they are on top right now. Will they stay there forever? Probably not. But I can say that they might stay up there for sometime.
    Another thing I'd like to state is that a lot of people that try linux usually end up going back to Windows. I too would have been a victim of this but I l liked linux for development things. I still think that Windows is a better system for the average user. By average user, I mean people don't know much about computers and use it for leisure. Of course there are others like myself and people in this forum who know more than these average users and it's better for us to use linux. By a comparison of performance, linux is by far the better system. The best example I can give is how often you need to reboot Windows. Downloading large files always slow down the system or leaving it on for a few days will cause this as well. In linux, no such problems.
    OK, now I got a little carried away here but I recall that the original post was something about Gnome -vs KDE. I used to be a Gnome guy and never thought I'd go over to KDE. I even tried it a few times in Redhat and despised it. However, I'm using it now and I think it's superior over Gnome. Then again, everyone's got an opinion.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Enthusiast
    Windows is obviously used a lot more than linux, but...

what if linux was introduced to people before windows was? I wonder what they would be using then. Hmm. Linux is a bit trickier sometimes to install and configure, but once that is done, you don't get all those errors and reinstalls and scandisks and defrags and viruses and reboots like you have to do in windass.

and, I already said kde rules over gnome

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    It is undeniable that Windows does have more user friendly configuration tools. Now, we all know that I and many of you would never prefer them over Linux's text file configurations, but the avarage user does, however. And therefore, the avarage user probably doesn't care if the system is slow, buggy, incapable and crashes all the time, as long as they can at least use it. For us who are a bit better, there's no reason not to run Linux (except for legacy applications, of course). At least that's the way I see it: If you're using Windows, then either you're stuck with some program/game that only exists for Windows, or you're simply not good enough; because if only you can get past that critical threshold of computer knowledge required to use your Linux system, only benefits await you.
    It's an interesting thing with an environment where a Linux computer is maintained by a (hopefully...) professional person, eg. a systems administrator, and the avarage user only uses the system. For example, this week I was walking through a computer room in the university that I'm going to attend this fall, and the computers there were double-boot systems, running Linux with KDE or Windows. I saw only one person who used Windows, and it was quite a big computer room. Isn't that quite remarkable?

Linux Engineer

geek school

Dolda,

You must have been at a geek school. Even the cs majors at my university didn't use linux. Half of them didn't know computer anatomy. The same half really couldn't code at all but were good with theoreticall aspects of cs such as DFA, NFA, etc. But what's the real use if you can't even code a simple program in C or C++? I could only wish that the school offered dual booting at my university but then again, it's not a big computer science school instead it focuses more on businesses and other areas. I used to work in those public user rooms and I can guarantee most of them would only have been more confused in regarding dual booting.
    Going back to windows again, unless linux can find a very useful, neat way on installing and uninstalling programs like windows, Has anyone used redcarpet from Ximian? I've seen it but never really used it at all. I honestly don't think it'll become the household favorite OS. Another thing I really despise in linux is fonts. I installed ttf and it's still crappy.
    A while ago, I talked to someone from this forum about a linux distro that had a pretty good chance of replacing windows. I forget what it was though.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    Another thing I really despise in linux is fonts. I installed ttf and it's still crappy.
    Now I don't really get you? I'm running RH8 and an XFT enabled Mozilla 1.3, and all fonts looks _really_ nice. Check out this screenshot and see if you still think it looks bad. I know I think it looks better than Windows, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    A while ago, I talked to someone from this forum about a linux distro that had a pretty good chance of replacing windows. I forget what it was though.
    Could it be Lycoris?

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

Few questions here. Some might not have much to do with the topic but nontheless, I'm going to ask them anyways.
    1. How compatible is png? I heard that not all browsers support them. However, I do know that they are non-lossy format of compression.
    2. Your screen shot with the fonts look pretty good. I guess that was the one thing that was done correctly when Redhat 8.0 came out. Still, those fonts don't do it for me. As much as I hate to admit this, I like Windows fonts.
    3. Can X resolution handle 960x720? I'm currently running 1024x768 becuse 800x600 is too big. I could have swore that in the past, I ran 960x720 in an debian potato. This is something that I would really like to find out.
    4. Lycoris. Yes, this is what I was told. Was it you that mentioned this earlier? Anyhow, this looks like KDE + Bluecurve. The smoothness reminds a lot of Redhat 8.0. This could work if it's easy to use. The only way I can find that out is by testing it out myself.
    5. Anyone know if bluecurve is available for debian? I really liked that theme.
    6. Going back to #4, let's say that lycoris is somewhat used. On the optimistic side, I think this has great potential. On the sour note, I think that people might still lean towards Windows. It's like buying a brand name house hold product versus buying a generic one. Most will buy the brand name just for the name but the some will buy the generic brand.

Linux Guru
    1. I _think_ most browser support them, even IE. I believe there was a security bug recently in IE due to illegal png handling...
    2. I must say that, with Xft, I like Linux fonts much more than I ever liked Windows fonts. So basically: you're wrong! =)
    3. X can most certainly handle 960x720. It can handle any resolution you tell it to use. The problem _could_ be to configure it to set your card to it (if it uses unusual frequencies and stuff), but usually that's not a problem either. Just check your XF86Config and add it to a Modes line.
    4. The problem is that Lycoris isn't free. It's shipped with WineX and some other not completely free things. You could try out Redmond Linux, though. That's what Lycoris is based on. I don't know the exact details. I don't think it was I who mentioned it, though.
    5. You're crazy? I kind of like the widget theme, but the WM theme is just hideous.
    6. That's probably right. It's like another guy (in the Real World) said once: Proprietary software is like if you have an entire demonstration building, you walk in and in the middle of a huge room, you find a podium on which stands Windows. Besides it stands a really nice salesperson who can describe everything that's good with it (he also describes bad things as good things, but that's another story). Open source software, on the other hand, is kind of home-brew, and if you want to have it, you must first know about it, which you don't always do, and then you talk to the one who built it, and he says that "Sure, no probs. I'll let you use it, for free, just go and look it up in that FTP over there and compile it." Home-brew stuff is, of course, sometimes better than professionally manufactured stuff, and in the case of software that is almost always true, but it sure doesn't look like it.

Linux Engineer

editing XF86Config

Dolda,

Exactly what do I need to edit in XF86Config in order for me to get 960x720 working? As you can see, I'm still a newbie when it comes to linux.

Linux Guru
    Probably, XFree86 will have autodetected that video mode, so you'll just have to add it to the "Modes" line in the "Display" SubSection of your "Screen" section.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast