Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
I know that there is minor difference between 960x720 and 1024x768 but I see no difference. Is there a way to test that I'm actually running the resolution? When I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

960x720

I know that there is minor difference between 960x720 and 1024x768 but I see no difference. Is there a way to test that I'm actually running the resolution? When I first installed the machine, it never gave me an option for 960x720. It only had 800x600 or 1024x768.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Do you know that you can switch between the resolutions in the Modes line with Ctrl+Alt+Plus and Ctrl+Alt+Minus (Plus and Minus on the keypad that is)? X defaults to the first video mode on that line, so to use the others, you'll have to use those key combs.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

Yes, I do know about that and should have tested that out last night. Upon testing that as of now, it only toggles between 1024x768 and 800x600. My default-depth is 16 and here's what I have listed there
    Code:
    SubSection "Display"
      Depth 16
      Modes "960x720" "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    I know that debian recognizes my video card and the correct drivers are loaded. I just don't know what the problem is.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Check your XFree86 log for clues. Do you really run at a default color depth of 16 bits?

Linux Engineer

location of file

Dolda,

Exactly where is this file located? What am I looking for in the log file?

Linux Guru
    XFree86's log file is /var/log/XFree.<display>.log. I guess <display> would be 0, if you haven't done anything strange. In there, there are usually some lines that tell you what modes are autoprobed, and which ones are removed for some reasons, and so on.

Linux Engineer

perphaps the monitor

For some reason, 960x720 is skipped in the log file. I'm thinking that this might be because I didn't specify the monitor's information in detail. Still, I did this a while back ago without any problems.

Linux Guru
    The video card usually manages to autoprobe all resolutions. Anyway, if you can find the frequencies and timing information for that mode, you can add it manually to your XF86Config. The monitor manufacturer should be able to provide that information. Check XF86Config(5) for what information is necessary.

Linux Engineer
    Anyway, if you can find the frequencies and timing information for that mode, you can add it manually to your XF86Config.
    Can you give me an example of how what I would add?

The monitor manufacturer should be able to provide that information. Check XF86Config(5) for what information is necessary.
    Where is XF86Config(5) located? It might be hard to find out the monitor info but I'm going to attempt to use Windows to extract this info. This is the price I pay for getting a cheap monitor.[/quote]

Linux Guru
    I have checked around a little, and as I first thought, specifying timing is obsoleted for XFree86 4.0 and upwards, since it asks the video card to query the monitor using the EDID protocol, so it should autodetect that mode for you. However, if your monitor was made before or around 1996, it's possible that it's not EDID-compatible, and that might be the reason. Just how cheap was this monitor and when?

Anyway, XF86Config(5) refers to the manpage for XF86Config, so "man 5 XF86Config" will bring you it. Btw., if you check in Windows and it shows your monitor as being a "Plug-n-Play monitor", it's most likely EDID compatible.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast