Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
It's EDID compatible. I also know that I can do 960x720 since I achieved this last time with this monitor. Then again, back then it autoprobed the correct resolutions and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

EDID

It's EDID compatible. I also know that I can do 960x720 since I achieved this last time with this monitor. Then again, back then it autoprobed the correct resolutions and this time it didn't. I'll check XF86Config later when I boot into linux.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    It's really just too strange. Have you tried xf86config?
    Btw., bpark, I have noticed that you keep putting a subject for each post you make. That's really not necessary, you only have to do it when you start a new topic.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

Yea, I like to write subjects. I'll stop that if that'll please you. I just thought it was more formal.
    Have you tried xf86config?
    What exactly do you mean by this statement? Would it be alright if I posted the log file for XF86Config. It's long and I don't know if the admins would appreciate that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You can write whatever subject pleases you; I just wanted to be sure that you were aware of the fact that you don't need to.

What I meant with xf86config is the program xf86config (hence the lowercase letters) that comes with the current XFree86 distributions. It's the "official" configuration program for XFree86.

EDIT

Sorry, I think I was wrong. The program's name is actually xf86cfg. I think. Actually, I'm not sure which of them it really is, but I think it is xf86cfg. Both exist.

Linux Engineer
    Hmm,

I believe that program only exists in Redhat. I remember using Xconfigurator though. That was back when I was meddling around with 7.X. Once 8.0 hit, I ported to Debian like I said I would. Debian has something very close to Xconfigurator which is dpkg-reconfigure xfree86-common.

Linux Guru
    No, this is not a RedHat program. What you're thinking about is probably redhat-config-xfree86. xf86cfg (or xf86config, still not sure) is the offical configuration program since 4.0. I think it's 4.0, but it could be later.

Linux Engineer

mistake

Dolda,

You were right, I was wrong. I should have known better than to doubt you in the first place. Anyhow, on to business, usign xf86cfg was pretty neat. My mouse didn't work so I had to use the keyboard bindings but nontheless, I was able to move around.
    Checking on somethings, I noticed things a lot of things that aren't correct about my system.
    1. My keyboard is a pc104. I modified it and what still boggles me is that the right side MS key still has no function. For example, on my KDE system, MS key + F<n> will toggle between the virtual termianls. Only the left MS key works in this case.
    2. Looking at my video card(voodoo3000AGP), I noticed that the bus id was listed as "pci: 1: 0: 0". Is this correct? I'm thinking it should read along the lines with an AGP section.
    3. When I installed X, the only certain thing that I knew abouy my monitor was that it could handle 1024x768 at 60Hz. I chose this option during X configuration at installation. Using xf86cfg, I chose this option again but it only filled out the horizontal sync. Is it possible that the vertical sync is needed to support 968x720? Would you possibly know a way to probe this in Windows? I looked on line(using google) but this monitor isn't even listed anywhere anymore.

Linux Guru
    The left and right Windows keys have different scan codes. Either only the left one is bound to an X keysym (change that in your xmodmap, if that's the case), or they are simply bound to two different keysyms, and only one of these keysyms are actually used in the window manager's key bindings. In the latter case, either change your xmodmap so that they are both bound to the same keysym, or just add both alternatives to your window manager. Providing that you actually want to use both Windows keys, that is.

PCI:1:0:0 is the AGP slot. The AGP slot is simply implemented as a second PCI bus, and since most machines only have one normal PCI bus, this is the way it becomes. The first number indicates the bus (the normal PCI bus is zero, AGP is one), the second number indicates the slot number, and the third number indicates the subfunction number of the card. If you run lspci, it will confirm it as well.

If you leave out the vertical sync, it should be autoprobed with EDID. I don't know if maybe the monitor returns the wrong value, or if you might have entered a wrong value for your horizontal sync. Try leaving out the horizontal sync as well, and see if it works.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

What do I manipulate xmodmap? I tried leaving out both fields but it just results to the default values before the change. I'm using the tdfx driver for my video card so that's defintely not the problem. Another thing I wanted to ask was, when you view 800x600, isn't the desktop supposed to fit on your screen? Whenever I toggle between modes, only 1024x768 fits on the screen. In 800x600, I have to use the mouse and hit the walls of the screen and that results in the screen movement. It's feels like I'm using 1024x768 but viewing it at 800x600.

Linux Guru
    I'm actually not quite sure; I don't have a Windows keyboard myself. If you're using the standard U.S. english keyboard layout, check out some lines around the end of /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.us. You can also check out what keysyms a program receives with xev (that needs to be started from a terminal).

No, the screen isn't supposed to fit in 800x600. X always uses the largest resolution that you specify as one of your modes as the virtual desktop area. If you switch to a resolution that is less than that, you can always "scroll" inside the virtual desktop.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast