Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Which is the better of the two? Which is easier to admin? Thanks for the input. :P...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GNOME or KDE???

Which is the better of the two? Which is easier to admin? Thanks for the input.

:P

Linux Guru
    That's a really relative question. It completely depends on what you're looking for. I mean, depending on what you're looking for, it might turn out that windows is the best. It's unlikely, but possible.

Linux Enthusiast
    easier to admin? GNOME2 is shaping up to ease a lot of administration, but it is still tough to use a desktop environment like GNOME/KDE to administer the internals of the system (like the ftp server, and the init scripts) because it is supposed to work on many many systems.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

It's all personal taste, I suppose. I started out on fvwm way back when and migrated to KDE round about version 2.0. A while back I decided to give GNOME a go, but after putting around with it for a ways, I decided to banish the blasphemeous thoughts from my mind and returned to KDE

Personally I use terminals and good old vi to do my sys admin. SuSE's tools are nice for the day when I'm a lazy git (which is most of the 365 available)

And KDE's interface looks spiffier. (Memory hogs unite!!! ) So I'm one for having a nice-looking desktop which uses more CPU/RAM. Sue me. (on second thought, don't. I'm already strapped for cash as it is...)

Two cents
    --O= syk =O--

Linux User
    i leave both on my machines and its up to the users to pick what they want, although most of them go KDE, i would imagine because it looks more like what they are used to.. but gnome has come a LONG way since I last gave it a whirl..

ALthough take the Bluecurve KDE/Gnome bastardization and get rid of that
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    I've never got a grip of what Bluecurve really is. The only contexts I've seen it in are in terms of the graphic customizations (which of course doesn't look very good), but I can't imagine it's just that. Can someone tell me what's in it other than the appearance?
    Speaking of which, why have they replaced sawfish for metacity in GNOME2? The very first thing I did was installing sawfish back. The LISP customizations are simply too good to throw away like that.

Linux User
    I think Bluecurve was really just about the look - an attempt to make one uniform look for X windows - a hybrid of KDE and Gnome. (Obviously there are some changes underneath it, but I think the goal was simply to make it look the same)

From Redhat's new Desktop/UI Developer Havoc Pennington
    Q: Word on the street is that Red Hat Linux 8.0 is very distinct from previous versions. What's so different?
    A: In Red Hat Linux 8.0 we've put a lot more effort into desktop and UI issues than we have in the past. Step one, in our view, was to take responsibility for the default user experience: that is, make decisions on what the Red Hat Linux look-and-feel should be, and go through and implement those decisions for the different pieces of software we include. We called this set of decisions the "Bluecurve look-and-feel." The result is a much cleaner, more consistent UI.

Q: Why did Red Hat decide to create a new interface rather than just continuing to use GNOME or KDE?
    A: Think of Bluecurve as a style guide that says how any given desktop environment or application should be configured by default, what its widgets and icons should look like, and so on. We then configured GNOME, KDE, Mozilla, even XMMS, to follow these guidelines.

GNOME and KDE have their own guidelines, but we felt that imposing the KDE guidelines and artwork on GNOME, or vice versa, would be more controversial than a neutral third-party theme.
    majorwoo

A question, if you will. What's the deal on people saying a while back that RH is crippling KDE with this Bluecurve idea?

Linux User
    i believe that kind of comment would have come from the notion that redhat has removed some of the functionality present in KDE.

I don't know how true it is. KDE has standards, and so does Gnome - and Redhat freely admits they mad ebluecurve because they didnt like either, so they took some of both. Alof of good things have come from taking the best of two good things.... i just don't know that I think they took the best parts.
    majorwoo

Just Joined!
    Bluecurve is a combination of KDE and Gnome, with some extra Red Hat things thrown into the mix. Im running RH8, and personally, i like it. its all a matter of taste. it eats up a bit more memory, but it looks very polished. they combined everything i liked about KDE and Gnome, and put it on their CD. incidentally, if you dont like it, KDE and Gnome are still available. but really, that will always be a matter of taste. its just that the decision is now Bluecurve/Gnome/KDE instead of Gnome/KDE.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast