Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried formatting and still can't remove GRUB!!! When I tried to boot from that drive it says Error reading GRUB. Anyways of removing this?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB won't go away

I tried formatting and still can't remove GRUB!!! When I tried to boot from that drive it says Error reading GRUB.

Anyways of removing this?

Linux Engineer
    GRUB cannot be erased from the MBR. It can only be replaced by another boot loader.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    GRUB cannot be erased from the MBR. It can only be replaced by another boot loader.
    When I was reinstalling (after I formatted the harddrivie) I selected LILO as my new boot loader. Once I restarted the computer it still says Error Reading GRUB. Maybe I need to restore MBR on my C: drive?

Linux User
    If you are running windows, you can run fdisk /mbr if i recall correctly, or run the "fixmbr" program on the XP cd.

If you are installing LILO, are you shure you are writing it to MBR?

Good Luck

Linux Engineer
    It depends how your BIOS is setup. Mine is setup so that it checks the floppy, E:\ then C:\ (sorry for the Windows notation). You'll have to write over the MBR on the correct hard drive so if your setup is like mine, then you'll have to rewrite the MBR in the C:\.

Linux Engineer
    BTW,

Stick with GRUB. LILO is older and less powerful than GRUB.

Linux Engineer
    I only say one thing LILO!! it workes..
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    I got it working!!! Yaaaay!!!!

I don't like GRUB because it screws up my WinXP. It only happens if I write the GRUB boot loader to the MBR. With LILO it's not a problem at all. I can now boot Linux and Windows XP!!!

Linux Engineer
    Post the solution here...its good for the future when people bump into the same trouble.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    I used the WinXP CD and press R. Once I'm at Console I typed "fixboot G:" G: is where I had GRUB installed. Then I restarted the computer and changed my boot order (the drive with GRUB first) then booted and notice GRUB don't show up anymore. Then I was like... SWEET!!! So I proceded to the next step and installed Linux but I chose LILO as bootloader and this time I installed it to the MBR which is C:. Once it's done installing I can boot any OS I want now. I tried GRUB on my MBR but that screwed up my WinXP.