Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed SuSE 9.2 and when I open vim in the terminal window the backspace key will not work. When i have a file open to edit and im ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backspace problems in editors

I just installed SuSE 9.2 and when I open vim in the terminal window the backspace key will not work. When i have a file open to edit and im in insert mode, i hit the backspace keyto delete a character and all i get is a bell. However the backspace key works when i am just typing in commands to the shell? Anyone have any ideas? thanks

I just tested a little further and the backspace key doesnt work with vi either. Nor does it work if i just open a text file with konqueror.

The backspace key works like the left arrow when in command mode. It only works in insert mode on a line that i havent hit return on yet. So if I type a line and then hit backspace to delete the last word it works. but then if i hit return and type another line and go back to the previous line i cant use the backspace key to delete anything.

Linux Engineer
    I think this may best explain it:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg05902.html

Just Joined!
    ok when i hit CTRL-H and then backspace i get : ^?. When i type in stty-a the erase character is : ^? Mine seem to be the same. The backspace works in the shell prompt, in Open Office, and also in Vim sometimes. IF i type a line and then hit backspace directly after typing a character i can use the backspace properly. However if i hit return or use an arrow key to go up or doen a line and then hit backspace i get the bell. So my backspace seems to line up with erase it just doesnt seem to work in the editor always.