Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Peer to Peer Apps

Can someone recommed a good peer to peer program for linux? Is there like a Kaaza clone for linux?

Linux Guru
    If you want kazaa, you don't need a clone. As far as I know it's ported to linux. I'd recommend direct connect instead, though. Check out dc-gui.

Linux Enthusiast
    as far as I know kazaa is NOT ported to linux. They ported it back when it was at protocol 4, then kazaa and morpheus had a falling out, morpheus moved to protocol 5 without releasing the specs to kazaa and so kazaa moved to a gnutella based sharing implimentation. At least that is what I thought. I could be all mixed up, I lost track back when I stopped caring. I use mutella (command line gnutella).
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You may more then well be right. I've never used Kazaa extensively anyway, but from when I have used it (on other peoples' systems) I know that it seems extremely slow. I've never seen anyone with a download of greater than like 20 kbps.

kazaa, as far as i know, was never ported to anywhere. and the falling out resulted in Morpheous moving to the gnutella network, leaving Kazaa, and a few others, on the Fast track network. im sure if you checked Downloads.com there would be some Linux P2P clients, though i dont know what they would be precisely.

Linux Enthusiast
    kazaa was ported to linux, I remember using their (super-buggy) command line client. I personally use mutella right now, but that is just because gift (gift.sf.net) is not working correctly (at all)
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    Hey

Well.. as far as file sharing under linux goes i have totally given up and now run a multi-boot with XP! :'(

I have tried 4 different filesharing apps for linux and either 1) they are to difficult to install (for a newbie) 2) they get installed but dont work correctly i.e i installed DCGUI using Suse rpm's and when i loaded it up there is no option to load a hub list :S and 3) limewire is rubbish i did a search for 3 very common files and got a maximum of 3 reults on each search :S

n e way Kazaalite and direct connect for win i fink i will stick with until i am more advanced with linux

thanks just thought i would post my opinion

Linux User
    Well, for downloading music and movies i use gtk-gnutella. Its a really good client.

Http://gtk-gnutella.sf.net

you could always use irc client and download movies, and music from irc server. not that its the same as p2p, but its a alternative.

Linux Guru
    If you're up for a bit more advanced stuff, try my dcprod Direct Connect client. It's lots more difficult to set up, but it does hold certain other advantages.