Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have downloaded the wireless tools (version 26 I believe) and have them unzipped in a a folder in Linux (Mandrake 9.0 using Gnome Desktop). I've tried to use the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Tools Installation

I have downloaded the wireless tools (version 26 I believe) and have them unzipped in a a folder in Linux (Mandrake 9.0 using Gnome Desktop).

I've tried to use the "make" to install the tools but permissions only allow 'root' to do this and I was unsure how to do this in the console (would it be "make /home/desktop/myfolder/make.whatever" ???).

I logged in as root in the console and moved the three files (iwconfig.c, iwspy.c and iwpriv.c) to the appropriate file as suggested in the install text file and moved the accompanying files to their directoris as well. I run my generic start script and it says it can't find the iwconfig or it doesn't exist.
    I also navigated to teh file where iwconfig was placed and ran the start script and same result - no joy.

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

BTW: I'm trying to install the binary drivers for a wireless D-Link ethernet card and it said to have the latest wireless tools installed (later than build 16)

PS: I'm very new to this but trying!!

Linux Guru
    After downloading it, open a console window.

type "su", hit return, then enter the r00t password. Your console session is now root.

The "cd" to the directory that you save the downloaded files in, unzip if necessary, and then run make.

That should do the trick.

the *.c files are the source code, when you run "make", it takes the source code, and turns it into an executable program. It is this executable program that could not be found by the sound of your description of the problem.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jason, I'll try it tonight!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I loggged in as root, navigated to the directory and ran the "make".

Here is the result:

[root@localhost mbTools]# make
    gcc -O2 -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -c iwlib.c
    make: gcc: Command not found
    make: *** [iwlib.o] Error 127

and tried

[root@localhost mbTools]# make install
    gcc -O2 -W -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -c iwlib.c
    make: gcc: Command not found
    make: *** [iwlib.o] Error 127

There is a file in the newly unzipped and created directory called "Makefile". Not sure if I needed to do something else with the "make" command? I know the syntax is supposed to be somthing like "make [options] [target]" but I couldn't seem to get it right so I just showed what happened with the stright "make" as above.

From the script in the Makefile file, it appears it is looking for the gcc compiler. I take it I do not have the complier, is this right?

Thanks,
    Mike

Just Joined!
    Downloaded the compiler and will install that tonight and try again. -M

Linux Guru
    That should do it.

also download CC as well, i dont think it is part of gcc but i am not sure.

CC is a simpler compiler that may programs use in place of gcc, so you may need it in the future.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jason. I'll get that on the CD before booting back to Linux. I('ll check in and let you know what happened.

PS: I really appreciate the input. I've been tinkeing with Linux off an on for a few months and have pretty much felt completely alone up until now so, to have a forum like this is fantastic support.

I'm going to rebuild my personal website soon and I will have a section dedicated to Linux information and support that includes links to this forum!

Just Joined!
    Well, I got the gcc file and unzipped it and tried to install it but got must set CC to a working compiler error. I need to set the path and although I've done quite a bit of searching I can't come up with a working syntax to set it. Any help?

Thanks,
    Mike

Linux Guru
    drop to a command prompt, and type "locate /gcc | more" to find your gcc compiler. mine on slack 8.1 was: /usr/bin/gcc

once done, open up the Makefile, at the top there will be a line like CC = gcc. change this to the full path/name you found with to locate command.

In my case, i would change the line to read: CC = /usr/bin/gcc

Try restarting the PC before doing all of that though.

Jason

Just Joined!
    set my path to: CC = /home/michael/Desktop/temp2/gcc-3.3
    based upon the instruction above.

result when trying to configure:

[root@localhost root]# /home/michael/Desktop/temp2/gcc-3.3/configure
    Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld host.
    Created "Makefile" in /root using "mt-frag"
    /home/michael/Desktop/temp2/gcc-3.3/configure: line 8: cc: command not found
    *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
    *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

There are three Makefile's in the directory and in two of them the path can be found (I changed it in both). Did I miss something or am I not passing an option that I should in the "configure" stmt?

Thanks,
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast