Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for something that will let me connect to some of the more popular messengers such as AM and Yahoo, and perhaps MSN form a terminal window as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

AIM and Yahoo Messenger for a terminal application

I am looking for something that will let me connect to some of the more popular messengers such as AM and Yahoo, and perhaps MSN form a terminal window as appose to the X window.

Any ideas??

- Bogdan

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't know of any offhand, but these sites should give you a good start:
    http://www.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.freshmeat.net/

Linux Enthusiast
    Ok, after searching though portage a bit, I think I've found what you're looking for. It's an ncurses based aim client called naim, and you can find it at http://naim.n.ml.org/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    caim is something i have used before....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    The table of equivalents would be a useful place to start. Scroll down to "Instant Messaging Clients" - it lists a few console based messaging programs for Linux.

It looks like CenterICQ is the most promising, with support for ICQ2000, Yahoo!, AIM, IRC, MSN, Gadu-Gadu, and Jabber protocols. I've never used it before, as i've always used naim and gaim, but it sounds good.

Linux User
    I settled on CenterICQ myself for when I restrict myself to the console. It has a nice smooth look, and it's very simple to use with an intuitive interface. It can also do RSS, though I never got it to work quite right (I haven't used it much for awhile).

So yeah, I second CenterICQ.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Engineer
    Wow, I just tried out Centericq and it's got a pretty nice interface, especially for a ncurses app. I highly recommend it now.

Just Joined!
    Wow, thanks guys. I am trying out naim and centericq. Thanks for your help. Oh yeah, and thanks for that table of programs, that should answer alot of my questions

- Bogdan

Just Joined!
    Wow, thanks guys. I am trying out naim and centericq. Thanks for your help. Oh yeah, and thanks for that table of programs, that should answer alot of my questions

- Bogdan