Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using Linux lightly for about half a year now both at school and at home. So far, I can't say I'm a fan, but I resolved to give ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XMMS Won't Work

I've been using Linux lightly for about half a year now both at school and at home. So far, I can't say I'm a fan, but I resolved to give it a good try. I've been using Mandrake Linux 10.1 at home a Fedora Core 2 and 3 as well as Redhat 9 at school. Anyway that's enough background I guess.

In order to avoid having to use a kajillion different programs for every different multimedia type I would like to use (and I've had tons of problems with these kajillion different programs too), it would be very nice to get XMMS to work. Problem is that it has never worked. From the first day I had Mandrake installed XMMS would open to it's visual interface and then just freeze. I end up having to use XKill everytime. I really don't have anything to go on for troubleshooting here because it never spits out an error message, it just won't work. Has anyone had a problem like this?

.......... Tim ..........

Linux Enthusiast
    First, dump the precompiled version, second, compile it yourself from the latest source, and third, make sure the net iface is stopped when you do it (ha, this is just something I have to do because my linux is screwed, but you may want to try it too).