Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running SimplyMEPIS on an IBM Thinkpad T40 notebook. My problem is that I can't force Azureus (a BitTorrent client) to write files directly to my FAT32 partition. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Application cannot write to partition

I'm running SimplyMEPIS on an IBM Thinkpad T40 notebook.

My problem is that I can't force Azureus (a BitTorrent client) to write files directly to my FAT32 partition.

I have a 25GB partition on my lone drive, formatted as FAT32. I can read/write to the partition okay, using Konquerer, while logged in with my user account. However, when I use Azureus (the BitTorrent client) to download files directly to this partition, that fails.

Here is my /etc/fstab:

Code:
    /dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 1
    /dev/hda4 swap swap sw,pri=1 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
    none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    # Dynamic entries
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=0222 0 0
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,users,dev,ro 0 0
    I've tried setting the default download path to /dev/hda2 and I receive a '/dev/hda2 is not a path' error.
    If I set the default download path to /mnt/hda2 then I receive an 'operation not allowed' error.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time
    - Tharsan

You will need to enable the Tools -> Options... -> Files -> "Enable incremental file creation" option. Otherwise you will get "Operation not permitted (allocateFiles...)" errors during file allocation.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    thank you very much for your quick response.

your solution worked perfectly =)

thanks again

glad to hear you're up and running. i ran into that problem myself and it annoyed the hell out of me until i figured it out.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    You will need to enable the Tools -> Options... -> Files -> "Enable incremental file creation" option.
    Brilliant, Flatline! Does this only apply to vfat and/or other non-native filesystems? Or is it specific to something about BitTorrent?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Engineer
    Specific to Azureus
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    You will need to enable the Tools -> Options... -> Files -> "Enable incremental file creation" option.
    Brilliant, Flatline! Does this only apply to vfat and/or other non-native filesystems? Or is it specific to something about BitTorrent?
    I tried partitioning the drive as an ext2 and ext3 filesystems, and after doing so, I received the same errors. I haven't tried doing this with the fix, as I have no need to

I think it has to do with the allocateFiles command that azureus issues (in order to allocate the full filesize of the file being downloaded, on the filesystem) that has a problem.