Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings, This is my first post. before I get to the main part of it... Quick background. Playing with linux for 5 years. Getting offical training and certs next week ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Viso Diagrams -> Linux

Greetings, This is my first post. before I get to the main part of it... Quick background. Playing with linux for 5 years. Getting offical training and certs next week as we keep implementing linux where I work. Well in anticipation of my certifications (LPIC) I want to show that I am dedicated to the switch so I am going to load some flavor onto my laptop. Mandrake, debian, or RH (most likely Debian).

I've found solutions for almost all of my apps except visio

I've seen Kivio and a few others but none are able to import my vss stencils from visio. This is critical to my move and any help what so ever would be appreciated (I have over 5000 Computer stencils)

Other programs I found equivilants for:

Program-----Old-----Linux
    Email --------Outlook -----Choose one of hundreds
    Office -------MSOffice ----Star Office
    Web---------IE---------Mozilla
    IM---------Trillian-----Gaim (any others ?????)
    Dev-----Java php-----Java Php
    DB ------MySql ------MySQL
    Shares --- Win ------ Samba

Programs I'm missing:

Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe acrobat (not the reader)
    Dreamweaver

If you guys have professional/Enterprise apps or other solutions it would be greatly appreciated so i can purchase/aquire them and dedicate myself to the switch.

I'd rather not dual boot or use vmware as then i'm not being true to the change

For Photoshop replacement (although not a total replacement), look at the GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program)

Unfortunately, there is no full version of Acrobat available for linux at this point.

There are all sorts of web development packages for linux, but I don't know of any as friendly as Dreamweaver.

The Visio thing is just what happens when a program uses a proprietary file format.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    Below is a great link for win/lin equvilents.

As for chat, try kopete or xchat (irc only). For acrobat, a great alternative is scribbus, although it's no where near as robust as arobat. Dia is a nice replacement to Visio, but you can't open Visio w/ it.

Good luck!
    http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-l...en/table.shtml

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Check out the CodeWeaver's CrossOver Office package for running your Office apps (including Visio & PhotoShop) and even DreamWeaver.

I'm really hoping Macromedia ports their DreamWeaver suite over to Linux -- it's really the only application I miss.

However, for web dev, I work with Quanta Plus which is bundled with KDE 3.3.

For web browsers, you forgot to mention Mozilla Firefox!
    For IM, Kopete is bundled with KDE, but only supports MSN (i believe).

Kopete supports all the major IM flavors.

By the way, I agree: Quanta is pretty sweet.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    WOw thanks that library is awsome. I guess i will have to wait or draw them one at a time as a hobby or find someone who already has. I guess using the office program for $40 to run office and photoshoop and visio won't be too bad while i teach myself gimp and more

thanks a million guys hopefully sooner rather then later i will be contributing more then taking.