Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I find myself installing SipXpbx for my company on a fedora Core 3 system. While running the install script, it repeatedly gives me the error that libstdc++.so.5 is needed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RPM Dependancy problem

So I find myself installing SipXpbx for my company on a fedora Core 3 system. While running the install script, it repeatedly gives me the error that libstdc++.so.5 is needed to install some if the programs rpm's. At rpmfind.net, the lates version of libstdc++ is older than what's on the system <I downloaded it and tried to install it. That's what it notified me of>. The sipx program was built for fc2. Am I just out of luck on fc3 or is there something I can do? I've already tried to install the packages using the --nodeps switch.

Just Joined!
    Am I in the wrong forum listing for this problem? Should I be in the OS category, or is this the right place?

Just Joined!
    THIS ISSUE IS RESOLVED. Here's the resolution for anyone out there. I found someone else that had the same issue installing another piece of software. Thank to everyone that looked it over for me!

SSUE:
    The following message may appear if installing BitDefender on a Fedora Core 3 system.
    error: Failed dependencies:
    libstdc++.so.5 is needed by BitDefender-core-1.6.1-0.i586
    libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2) is needed by BitDefender-core-1.6.1-0.i586
    libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2) is needed by BitDefender-core-1.6.1-0.i586

Could not complete the installation of the .rpm. package, aborting installation.

SOLUTION:
    Fedora Core 3 has gcc 3.4 that provides libstdc++.so.6 while BitDefender requires another version of this library, libstdc++.so.5. In order to satisfy this dependency, the compat-libstdc++ package must be installed. (you can find it on the distribution CDs)

This package is required not only by BitDefender but also by other officiall Fedora Core 3 packages.

Afterwards retry the BitDefender installation process.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for the solution...I had a buddy run into that loop the other day when he was installing something else and I didn't have time to help him (then I forgot about it until I saw your post). Now I can tell him what to do.

Cheers!
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the post

This solved a problem on Fedora Core 3 i386 where mysql-administrator would not run.

I appreciate the help!

http://kevinready.com