Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm about ready to put my fist through my monitor! Problem: I've connected to another computer over a local network using the smbclient app. I'm trying to us the "put" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

smbclient problems

I'm about ready to put my fist through my monitor! Problem: I've connected to another computer over a local network using the smbclient app. I'm trying to us the "put" command to copy a folder from my computer to a shared folder on another. Here's what I'm typing:

put /home/Comreak/linuxstuff

I would normally think this would transfer the directory over to the shared directory on the remote computer, however, it gives me this error instead:

"/home/Comreak/linuxstuff does not exist"

I assure you, it exists. I can use the get command to copy files over from the remote computer. Why is put giving me so much trouble? How do I get this to work?

Just Joined!
    IGNORE THAT QUESTION UP THERE PLEASE

I figured it out, but I have another question. Can the put command in the smbclient only transfer files? I had to tar/gzip the directory before i could use put. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Linux Guru
    If I were you, I'd mount the SMB share instead. If you really don't want to, however, try the mput and mget commands in smbclient.