Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just ordered a copy of SUSE; I am new to Linux and not knowing what to expect. I use the following programs on a daily basis and am looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for Windows Software Alternatives

I just ordered a copy of SUSE; I am new to Linux and not knowing what to expect.

I use the following programs on a daily basis and am looking for the Linux alternatives.

Photoshop
    Freehand
    FrontPage
    Flash

What are the recommended replacements for these?

Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    The counterpart for Photoshop would be The GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). Some claim that The GIMP is the best image creation program ever made, but I guess there is the chance that at least some of them are just enthusiasts. I know from testimonials that it's really good, though, although I don't deal anything with graphics myself.
    I don't know what Freehand is.
    You actually use Frontpage? You should really stop doing that. Not only does it generate a whole lot of really bad HTML code, it's also bad in a lot of other ways (like incompatibility with other things, and who knows all of it). Have you ever considered editing HTML by hand? It's not hard at all. Otherwise I'm sure that there is some good alternative for Linux, but I don't know what it would be. I know that OpenOffice can create HTML files, but since it isn't really a HTML editor, I wouldn't think it gets very good.
    I'm not sure that there actually is a Flash editor in Linux. I think there should be, since many web developers do use Linux, but I have heard rumors (not guaranteed to be true, though) that it's not possible.

Ice
    Just Joined!
    I use Codeweavers Crossover office so that I can run photoshop and dreamweaver on my linux box. Try using Dreamweaver for developing HTML, I really like the interface. I'm never tried to install Macromedia's Flash, but since Dreamweaver works I bet flash would.

Linux Newbie

Macromedia and XOver

hey -
    I STRONGLY reccomend using CodeWeavers CrossOver Office and running Dreamweaver and Flash. I'm a web-developer and Dreamweaver doesn't run perfect but for most people it would be fine. Flash seems to run flawlessly and Photoshop is actually supported by CodeWeavers As for Freehand, i'm assuming it's similar to Adobe's Illustrator which I haven't tried in Crossover but there are some decent vector drawing programs for linux.

Codeweavers has a 30 day trial which I would reccomend before purchasing it... just to be sure...

You COULD also consider using VMWARE or another emulator to run the actual windows OS inside of LINUX and installing your windows-native apps... I do this because sometimes I have friends who want to use my comp and just CAN'T function in LINUX...

There are some catches to getting Windows stuff to work in codeweavers so if you decide you want to do this, let me know and i'll be glad to assist

Linux Newbie

Frontpage

hello again - frontpage is the most EVIL and outright JOKE of a web-development platform... Any editor that REQUIRES extensions to be installed server-side just to utilize templating features should be shoveled into a huge pit of rabid dogs and the excrament burned...

You'll have to excuse me, I just took over a couple fairly large site that were developed in FrontPage and while the rest of the world functions, I sit in my office and manually remove FP specific coding from 350+ pages and replace it with code that is supported by browsers other than IE and can be easially opened and edited by my bosses who use Go! Live

Linux Guru
    May you be excused or not, what you say is true. It doesn't only require server-side extensions for useless stuff, create browser-incompatible HTML and hundreds of empty lines, plus a ton of superficial tags. No, it also creates actually incorrect HTML. It does all sorts of strange things, like generating closing tags out-of-order (such as <font...></font>). Of course the browser will handle that, but really? If I looked at HTML like that, I'd think the author was a moron. Then of course it uses the Windows-specific extensions to the ISO-8859-{1,15} character sets as well. I don't even want to get started on that.

Linux Newbie

not to mention

really crappy and messy use of CSS for EVERYTHING!

... the Clean up Word HTML command in Macromedia Dreamweaver only can do so much

Linux Guru
    It actually has a command named Clean up Word HTML? LOL!

You might want to check out The Demoroniser as well.