Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
aww great now yet ANOTHER problem.....when i do xchat in root. now it will get to the server select screen . but now when i click connect (to any server) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

aww great now yet ANOTHER problem.....when i do xchat in root. now it will get to the server select screen . but now when i click connect (to any server) i get this

Code:
    bash-2.05b# xchat
    Segmentation fault
    now what do i need to do?

Linux Guru
    That seems like a bug in this new version of xchat. A segmentation fault can almost not indicate anything but a bug.

Linux User
    hmm well in that case, why would it just up and do it after working. i dont get it. and yes i recompiled and everything. :/ and it was in the stable section. perhaps that does not matter

Linux Guru
    A bug can be very random. And, yes, sometimes supposedly stable software has apparent bugs. You might want to downgrade again.

Linux User
    ok thanks for your intel once again i got both problems resolved by using the lower version 2.0.2

Linux User
    ohh but the one problem still exists.

Oh, then it's another thing. Hardware routers often have special support to let incoming connections through for specific programs. Seems yours has support for some IM programs but not for IRC DCC.
    If you had a Linux router, then you could just load the ip_*_irc modules to let DCC connections through.
    yeah i dont quite understand what you are saying to do here. please explain in more detail . becauce i have a good feeling it is in fact my linksys router.

Linux Guru
    Do you know how NAT (Network Address Translation) works? Here are some really basic basics:
    You have a router, with one IP address that is available to the rest of the internet, and connected to several computers on your internal network. That router is what you call a multi-homed host, since it's part of multiple networks.
    If a computer on the internal network wants to connect to a host on the internet, it sends the packet through the router. This packet has the destination address of the host on the internet and the source address of the computer that sent it (ie. an address on the internal net). When that packet passes the router, the router changes the source address to be that of its external interface (ie. the one facing the internet). Also, it stores in an internal table which computer it was that sent the packet. Then it gets routed all the way to the final host. When the packet reaches the remote host, it has the destination address of that host, and the source address of the router's external interface.
    Therefore, when that host replies, it sends a reply packet with a destination address of the router's external interface. When that packet reaches the router, it looks it up in its internal table, and sees what internal computer it was that initially tried to connect, changes the destination to that computer and sends the packet there.
    The problem is that when you try to send a file to someone over DCC, this is what happens:
    You send the initiation request to the IRC server, which relays it to the one you want to send the file to. That computer then tries to connect to your address to recieve the file. That address is the one that the IRC server provided it with, and the IRC server knows only the address of your router's external interface. Therefore, when the connection packet comes to your router from the computer you wish to send the file to, the router can't find it in its internal tables, since you haven't tried to initiate the connection from an internal computer. Therefore, the router doesn't know which internal computer to send the request to. Since it doesn't know what to do with the packet, it just drops it.

There are some ways to solve such problems, with special NAT monitoring code. It seems that your router can monitor some IM protocols. What it does is that it monitors your connection to the IM server, and sees when you want to send a file to someone. It then captures the address that the other computer will try to connect to, and pre-initializes its tables to match that connection packet once it arrives. Apparently, it does not have such monitoring code for IRC, though.

If you were to set up a Linux router instead, that could be solved, since the modules ip_conntrack_irc and ip_nat_irc in conjuncation provides those monitoring routines for Linux. I don't know if there is any monitoring code for any IM protocols for Linux, though. On the other hand, most IM programs can connect via a SOCKS server that you can set up on a Linux router instead.

Linux User
    hmm ok so SOCKS should send? or something. well when i was going through xchat. it had proxy settings for default. something else. and socks4 or socks5. would selecting one of those simply solve it?

Linux Guru
    No, since you don't have a SOCKS server. That was something you could set up if you had a Linux computer as router.

Linux User
    blah. well then im still confused on how i needto fix this?.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast