Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have never uninstalled anything since i got linux a month or 2 ago. but i just downloaded xchat version 2.0.3 to kick off my 2.0.1 but when i compiled ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

how do i remove Xchat? ....

i have never uninstalled anything since i got linux a month or 2 ago. but i just downloaded xchat version 2.0.3 to kick off my 2.0.1 but when i compiled it it messed up something so now when i type "xchat" in command line/terminal it doesnt do anything. so i figured i just need to uninstall it completly and recompile and install it. so how do i go about this? remember im a complete newbie at this.

Linux Engineer
    If you have compiled the software from source you can try to execute

Code:
    make uninstall
    In your sourcetree it doesnt always work though...it depends on the make-script that are follwoing the source, otherwise to reinstall you just have to compile and install the software as it says in your README or INSTALL file that almost always are included.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    It doesn't make any difference if you uninstall it first, though. If you just recompile and install, it will overwrite any existing files anyway. Just do a "make clean" in the source tree to remove any intermediate relocatables.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Yepp but the only way to completly remove the application is with the make uninstall command if thats supported...or to remove all files manually.

Regards
    Regards

Andutt