Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was trying to install drivers for a touchscreen the other day, and modified /etc/X11/XF86-config. Apparently something went wrong, and when I try and start X, I get an error ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red text editor

I was trying to install drivers for a touchscreen the other day, and modified /etc/X11/XF86-config. Apparently something went wrong, and when I try and start X, I get an error from that file, and KDE won't load. I would be happy to remove or comment out those lines, but when I type "ed XF86-config" at the command line (as root) it only returns the file size. (The same thing happens for red) Am I missing something, or is there another way to edit this file from the command line? Thanks!

I usually use midnight commander to get to the file in question, then I think to edit it you press F5 (not sure about this last, but at the bottom of the screen, there are numbers for different things like copy, move, edit...).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Enthusiast
    Or if you'd preffere to learn about an editor that works in most Unx flavours, try "vi"
    Code:
    vi <filename>
    To insert text at current posiotion just press i when done press ESC
    and typ :wq

Just Joined!
    type mc

to start midnight commander

Linux Enthusiast
    I usually use nano

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Red text editor

Quote Originally Posted by piperx
    but when I type "ed XF86-config" at the command line (as root) it only returns the file size. (The same thing happens for red) !
    You mean it returns the file size and then exits ? What happens if you use it with another file ? What happens if you don't specify a file name at all ?