Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been getting a few packages both in tarball and in rpm most from reputable mirrors. I have noticed however that some of them seem to have bad signatures ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    In the cupboard under the stairs probably. nr Aylesbury

Bad signatures on rpms

I have been getting a few packages both in tarball and in rpm most from reputable mirrors.
    I have noticed however that some of them seem to have bad signatures or not matching checksums when checked. Should I be informing the mirror hosting the files or is it just a case of a few bytes being scrambled in transit.
    Should I just get the file again?
    This has been happening using urpmi too.

generally, these errors fall into two categories:
    1)Bad transfer
    2)Corrupt File

When the md5sum is bad, that's generally a sign of a bad transfer, unless the file became recently corrupt on the server, as the server generates the md5sum from the same file you are downloading. Signature errors can fall under the same category, but many times this just means either a corrupt rpm or no signature at all. Have these been fatal errors? (i.e. caused the installer to abort?)

Just Joined!
    No all the rpms have performed normally.
    Weeeeel let me qualify that a bit , all the rpms have performed.
    I am having great difficulties getting some packages to recognise already present dependencies, but that is the subject of a different thread.......
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-36281.html

Well it seems that you should be fine.

Just Joined!
    My wife drinks pints of lager actually.

Just Joined!
    This is my biggest complaint with Mandrake (aside from the new name). I can usually find rpms for whatever I want on pbone, but I would say more than half the time I can't find a version that doesn't give me an error on the signature or checksum (mostly signatures I think). If an RPM fails from one mirror, it seems like it fails from all of them.

I don't get these issues with Debian packages, and I'm able to download entire distros without getting corruption. Looking through the forums, this does seem to be a common complaint specific to Mandrake. Over time, this could cause me to drop the distro altogether if it doesnt't get better. I know I really shouldn't complain since I'm getting it for free, but the reality is there are other free choices as well.