Find the answer to your Linux question:
I hope that this isnt already posted somewhere...i did a search but found no results so here we go. I am confused as to what the difference is between these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CrossoverOffice and Wine

I hope that this isnt already posted somewhere...i did a search but found no results so here we go.

I am confused as to what the difference is between these two apps. They seem to me to be pretty much the same, yet CrossoverOffice costs a few bucks whereas Wine is free. And on top of that CrossoverOffice talks about supporting Wine and donating money to their cause.

I am interested in using one of these apps on my comp which runs fedora 3, but i am not sure which one to go with.

Any help is much appreciated.

As I understand it, Crossover Office is a specially "tweaked" and polished version of Wine. Whereas it can be a bit of an ordeal to get MS Office, Photoshop, etc. (Crossover works with a very large number of apps) working under a stock Wine installation, with Crossover it is extremely easy and basically works like a regular Windows install.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Engineer
    Crossover is a commercial app designed for running w32 apps ( not games ) on linux boxes.

Cedega (formerly WineX) is a commercial implementation of Wine that focusses on apps like games and those that use 3d graphics.

Both of these give and take to the Wine project.

So if you want to run w32 games go Cedega, if you want to run other apps go Crossover.

However, Wine may be advanced enough for you to run whatever app it is anyways.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ahhh it all makes sense now...thank you very much

Just Joined!

Office 2K using wine

Crossover office costs money because its a specially tweaked version of wine which allows easier application installs. Plus you get support. In my opinion its well worth the money you spend on it.

However, if you are adventurous and would like to try to install apps yourself, then perhaps you can first play with the free version of wine.
    See my HOWTO on installing Office 2K and other apps using the free version of wine and winetools.

http://ajayaraman.0catch.com/office2k-wine-howto.html