Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have both Windows and Linux on the same PC (dual boot), and I can get online through both of them . I have also downloaded Mozilla Firefox 1.0 for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mozilla Thunderbird Shared Mail

I have both Windows and Linux on the same PC (dual boot), and I can get online through both of them . I have also downloaded Mozilla Firefox 1.0 for both OSs, and I run it from both of them.

The problem is that, when I download my mail from Linux, I can't have them in windoze, and vica versa. Is there any way so that I can have shared mail from both of the OSs?

Thank you for taking time to rea dthis post,

- ardeth

There are a few options to accomplish that:
    - use an imap server (don't know if that is supported)
    - configure one of the two (or both) environments to leave the mail on the server ((don't know if that is supported either).

Bothe methods are supported in KMail but I see you are running thunderbird for your email and I do not know that program. For the first option you will need an email server which actually supports imap.
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    well, I will have to say that I don't know what IMAP is, and I don't know how to configure thunderbird to leave the messages on the server... I think that I had seen a tutorial about something like it in mozilla.org or mozdev.org, but I couldn't find anything similar when I searched. I will try and send the Mozilla.org staff a mail about my problem. Thanks for the help though.

[I will find out what IMAP is and try to configure it that way]

- ardeth

IMAP is an email service which runs on the email server. If your email provider does not support it there is no point in using it.

IMAP connects to the email server and shows the folder structure on the server and leaves the mail files on the server.
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    I think there's still another way around...

If you auto-mount your windows partition(s) in linux, you could specify the path of your mails in the windows partition in linux thunderbird... What you should also do is to check if the user you use in linux has write-permission in the windows partition.
    I'm using it that way, and works fine... Now I'm trying to share not only the mail folders, but also the mail addresses and other definitions, both in thunderbird and firefox.

Have fun,
    Joćo