Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
so now back to the main topic of this discussion as posted in the topic "Simpler OS than Linux - can we make one?", im pretty sure we can make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

so now back to the main topic of this discussion as posted in the topic "Simpler OS than Linux - can we make one?", im pretty sure we can make one just if we can find someone to make us a differant base kernel, such as either the windows or linux kernel im pretty positive we can do the rest so if your interested i'll be glad to help in this development.

Re: reply

Quote Originally Posted by SPeX23
    most people do not run linux or *nix on that fast of a pc, most *nix os's are on older pc's.
    Guess I'm not most people. (Note specs in signature)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

cvvxcz

i was referring to most new *nix users.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast

Re: reply

Quote Originally Posted by SPeX23
    I will have to disagree with that. I have h3knix, and his own creator told me that it boots (at his computer) in less than 10 seconds (IIRC he told me that it boots in 6 seconds...). I think that THIS is the fastest *NIX OS nowadays. Another friend of mine tells me that it boots in less than 12 seconds, and he has a P4 @ 1.5GHz... Imagine working at twice speed (3.2 GHz, HT ).
    most people do not run linux or *nix on that fast of a pc, most *nix os's are on older pc's.
    As long as Windows will be sold together with new computers, that is very difficult to change... The only people who buy a new machine and put Linux on it are people who feel confident enough to do so, instead of going for Windows..

Linux Newbie
    My P3/800Mhz/256MB RAM laptop boots up CoreDistro 2.0 in about 6 seconds... can't get a whole lot faster than that...

I've seen a remarkable similarity between Windows and Linux over the years:

Back in the day, Linux booted up in about 30 seconds. So did Windows 95.

Then Linux started taking another 10 seconds to startup. So did Windows 98.

Then Linux started taking another 30 seconds to startup. So did Windows 98SE.

Then Linux started taking another minute to startup. So did Windows ME.

Then Linux started taking another 30 seconds to startup. So did Windows 2000.

Then Linux started taking another 3 minutes to startup. So did Windows XP.

Suse, RedHat, Fedora, and Mandrake are only different from Windows 2000/XP in one way -- the direction of the path separator.
    Blog - KB5UMQ - Linux User #272983
    3 Rules:
    1) "It doesn't work..." is simply not useful information.
    2) Don't cross post!
    3) If you are asking for help, start by telling us your distro/os and version.

Quote Originally Posted by Kode
    Suse, RedHat, Fedora, and Mandrake are only different from Windows 2000/XP in one way -- the direction of the path separator.
    I hope you're being facetious, or else only comparing startup times.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, it's a bit facetious, but mostly, I'm saddened by the similar trends I see in Windows and the various "mainstream" distros -- bloat bloat bloat bloat bloat.
    Blog - KB5UMQ - Linux User #272983
    3 Rules:
    1) "It doesn't work..." is simply not useful information.
    2) Don't cross post!
    3) If you are asking for help, start by telling us your distro/os and version.

Linux Engineer
    You can have 6 second boot times with any distro. Like I said, it's all about knowing how your system boots and cutting out the crap.

Just Joined!
    As long as Windows will be sold together with new computers, that is very difficult to change... The only people who buy a new machine and put Linux on it are people who feel confident enough to do so, instead of going for Windows..
    I will have to say something concerning that: There are lots of HP pcs in America that are sold with embedded linux (Mandrake mostly), and this has started to expand in Europe too. A friend of mine told me that he found lots of laptops sold with Linux (again mandrake). Also, the Chinese government has started to promote linux. Imagine china using linux instead of windoze. More than half the people on earth using linux. :P

C ya around the forums!

-ardeth

Quote Originally Posted by ardeth
    Also, the Chinese government has started to promote linux. Imagine china using linux instead of windoze. More than half the people on earth using linux. :P
    Ironic, isn't it? One of the world's freest operating systems being encouraged by one of the world's least-free nations.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast