Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm just after a simple OS that :- 1)boots fast into command prompt (20 seconds max) 2) let's me load up Graphic/Sound etc drivers as I want them (can batch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Simpler OS than Linux - can we make one? or...

I'm just after a simple OS that :-

1)boots fast into command prompt (20 seconds max)
    2) let's me load up Graphic/Sound etc drivers as I want them (can batch file em)
    3)Mini Windows just with Office Apps if I want it
    4)Multitasker only run from command prompt
    5)Files need to be compatible with MS office

Yeah DOS 6.22 could possibly do this.. but it would need to be updated.
    Can OS/2 do this? How about a mini OS from a palmtop runing on a desktop?

Or.. can we start developing one now ?

Linux takes way too long to boot and is way too big and clumsy now.

Just Joined!
    Get a different distro. I'm using VectorLinux, a small distro based on Slackware, and my comp boots to command prompt in about 20 secs. If I type quickly, I can get it into xfce in a little less than 35 secs after startup. And my comp is OLD. Are you using KDE? If so, don't, especially if your comp is old. It's a processor hog.

Just Joined!
    yes , i am also thinking that a tiny linux distro might do the trick.

does vectro linux allow you to upscale by calling modules (hope i have the expression right) after boot?

no, im not runnign kde.

Linux Engineer
    you could try a bootstrap gentoo system. On my old labtop I used to use slackware and vector linux and they took there sweet time booting, but I recently bootstrapped a gentoo system with the 2.6 kernel and it boots in around 15-20 seconds...I can run an xserver with enlightenment also at blazing speed for such an old comp.

ALso good with gentoo is that nothing is installed that you do not tell the system to install, or require as a dependancy.

true speed
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Re: Simpler OS than Linux - can we make one? or...

Quote Originally Posted by jacelalin
    5)Files need to be compatible with MS office
    Not even MS Office is compatible between different versions. For the rest: get a different distro.
    I\'m so tired .....

Open Office is mainly Compatible with MS Office.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!

hmm

I've heard many stories of how vector linux is the fastest booting *nix OS,
    i run FreeBSD 5.3 and i boot into gnome including startup in 42.4 seconds (i timed it). I suggest strongly you go with FreeBSD.

Linux Engineer

Re: hmm

I boot to my gnome desktop in under 20 secs. I could trim it down to about 15 secs if I wanted. It's all about knowing how your system boots and cutting back on all the crap you don't need. Distros also tend to add a lot of bloat. Rolling your own system will cut all that out.

Just Joined!
    I've heard many stories of how vector linux is the fastest booting *nix OS

I will have to disagree with that. I have h3knix, and his own creator told me that it boots (at his computer) in less than 10 seconds (IIRC he told me that it boots in 6 seconds...). I think that THIS is the fastest *NIX OS nowadays. Another friend of mine tells me that it boots in less than 12 seconds, and he has a P4 @ 1.5GHz... Imagine working at twice speed (3.2 GHz, HT ).

If anyone has found a faster distro, please inform me, cause I am very interested in this kind of matters.

-ardeth

Just Joined!

I will have to disagree with that. I have h3knix, and his own creator told me that it boots (at his computer) in less than 10 seconds (IIRC he told me that it boots in 6 seconds...). I think that THIS is the fastest *NIX OS nowadays. Another friend of mine tells me that it boots in less than 12 seconds, and he has a P4 @ 1.5GHz... Imagine working at twice speed (3.2 GHz, HT ).
    most people do not run linux or *nix on that fast of a pc, most *nix os's are on older pc's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast