Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by marklawford I thought it might be a library conflict. How then do I resolve that? Can it be resolved? Can applications run within their own "environment" of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by marklawford
    I thought it might be a library conflict. How then do I resolve that? Can it be resolved? Can applications run within their own "environment" of library versions? Can multiple versions be registered and applications find the right version?
    Hmm. Well, you can update your QT libraries, but that would almost certainly hose KDE unless you updated KDE along with them. I've been told it's possible to run applications with their own sets of libraries, but I've never tried to do it myself. Sorry I couldn't be of much more help.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Hmm. Well, you can update your QT libraries, but that would almost certainly hose KDE unless you updated KDE along with them. I've been told it's possible to run applications with their own sets of libraries, but I've never tried to do it myself. Sorry I couldn't be of much more help.
    I'm looking to upgrade to the new version of suse professional when I can get my hands on it and I think that includes the new KDE version. Presumably, new library versions are backward compatible with earlier versions.

I did look into just upgrading to the new KDE version but that looked so confusing with about a million separate packages to install. I was looking for just a single RPM to do the job.

Anyway, I guess the apps I want to use need later libraries than I have and they will work when I wade through the upgrade quagmire.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by marklawford
    I'm looking to upgrade to the new version of suse professional when I can get my hands on it and I think that includes the new KDE version. Presumably, new library versions are backward compatible with earlier versions.
    SuSE 9.3 is just around the corner. And yes, it will give you a new version of KDE among other things.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2