Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I've recently installed Krusader and KXML but can't start either of them. I'm using Suse 9.2 and installed the rpms for both apps through YAST. When I click try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bouncing icon... but no application

Hi,

I've recently installed Krusader and KXML but can't start either of them.

I'm using Suse 9.2 and installed the rpms for both apps through YAST. When I click try to open the apps through the menu (utilities/more programs/krusader for instance) I just get a bouncing icon for a while and then nothing.

I'm really new to Linux and not much more than an end-user to be honest so I've got a whole bunch of questions (some of which might make sense).

How do I go about debugging this application? What is going on? What kind of things prevent applications from starting? Is this a recognised phenomenon? With a known workaround?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Run krusader manually from the command line. The errors tend to be more verbose that way:
    Code:
    krusader

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    Run krusader manually from the command line. The errors tend to be more verbose that way:
    Typing "krusader" into the command line gives me:

krusader: symbol lookup error: krusader: undefined symbol: _ZN11KMainWindow7setIconERK7QPixmap

I'll have a search on the error message and see what I can find.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I guarantee you that has something to do with a bad/missing/improperly configured library... Does Krusader use QT by any chance?

Just Joined!
    I guarantee you that has something to do with a bad/missing/improperly configured library... Does Krusader use QT by any chance?
    What's QT and how do I find out?

By QT do you mean Quicktime? Krusader is a file explorer so I guess it might use quicktime for thumbnails/previews of movie content. I'll have to look that up.

Qt is not quicktime, rather it is a tool used for making Graphical User Interfaces, and is the basis of kde. It would seem that it is based on the "QPixmap" portion of the error message. Check the Krusader website to see whether or not it uses Qt as its base.

Just Joined!
    Qt is not quicktime, rather it is a tool used for making Graphical User Interfaces...
    I've been rumbled! That gives away my knowledge level a little doesn't it.

From the krusader FAQ:

"Krusader is based on Qt"

That sounds conclusive

Make sure you have all of the Qt libraries installed correctly.

If you have SuSE installed, which uses KDE as default, you have the QT libraries installed, because KDE can't run without them. The problem *might* be due to a version mismatch of the QT libraries you have. (For instance, Krusader requires version 123 and you have version 122.)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    If you have SuSE installed, which uses KDE as default, you have the QT libraries installed, because KDE can't run without them. The problem *might* be due to a version mismatch of the QT libraries you have. (For instance, Krusader requires version 123 and you have version 122.)
    I've been away all weekend, hence my late reply.

I thought it might be a library conflict. How then do I resolve that? Can it be resolved? Can applications run within their own "environment" of library versions? Can multiple versions be registered and applications find the right version?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast