Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i have Grip and KS cd player on mandrake 9.1 and i can't get these apps to see the cd's i put in the computer. I can, on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

CD issue when playing

Hi, i have Grip and KS cd player on mandrake 9.1 and i can't get these apps to see the cd's i put in the computer. I can, on the other hand, see data discs and burn fine with K3B.

I just opened grip and it is playing fine, i see the tracks and it's playing, but no sound comes out of my stereo. I opened XMMS and the mp3's are playing fine. No problems.

What is the matter with grip and the cd player? Why is the cd seen by the app but there is sound?

Linux User
    Most sound cards have a channel for CD audio, make sure it's unmuted and the levels raised in your mixer app.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Ok, is this channel like supposed to be changed through linux or through the application itself, the app's configuration?

Linux User
    It would be changed in a mixer app, like Gnome Mixer, or I think it's kmix in KDE. Sometimes a program will change it with it's volume control, sometimes it just amplifies what's already set. There should be something relating to mixers or volumes in your menus, I'd imagine.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Like you said, i used kmix in KDE but all i could do after trying all possible combinations on the bars and buttons, was to remove all sound from the computer, or balance the sound to come out only on the right speaker on my stereo (which luckily got fixed by itself).

I guess i'll play'em and rip'em from the XP box later on.