Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I download TV shows that I miss, and I tried playing them in Xine, but it says it uses an unsupported codec (XviD). So, being that I've been on Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Media Player that supports XviD?

I download TV shows that I miss, and I tried playing them in Xine, but it says it uses an unsupported codec (XviD). So, being that I've been on Linux about a week and a half, I natually went out and downloaded the XviD codecs, installed them, and still got the same error.

I'm not that familiar with Xine, is there somewhere that I need to show it where the XviD codecs are? Or does Xine not do AVIs?

Any other suggestions? I will keep poking at the problem, and hopefully I can resolve it myself, but a few replies from everyone here may help a bit =D

Just Joined!
    Xine plays xvid avi files for me just fine. Don't know what is wrong with yours, but keep trying as you will get it to work. Make sure they installed in the directory that Xine is looking in. You may need to run ldconfig after installing the codecs, not sure.

maybe u need to download/install the xvid codecs? Not too sure where you can get them from, but rpmfind should have them
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    as for me the best is to download latest xine-lib (rpm or source - as you wish)
    if you gonna compile the source it make take even an hour on a slow system (such as my duron-750)

Just Joined!
    I have installed the codecs, I just got home from work so I'll keep messing with it, maybe I didn't install all the parts to Xine..

Quote Originally Posted by septor
    I have installed the codecs, I just got home from work so I'll keep messing with it, maybe I didn't install all the parts to Xine..
    Maybe there's somewhere u have to tell XiNE that u have xvid codecs. maybe a reinstall of xine if u have installed the codecs after it.

Just Joined!
    I formatted and put SuSE 9.3 Pro on here, hopefully that fixes it. I haven't tried as I'm still configuring what I have installed so far.

edit

Anyone know if I need to install the XviD codecs in any particular place?

If you're installing from source, or rpm, it should install wherever it needs to go

Just Joined!
    Still doesn't work, maybe I don't have the right versions or something. I'll keep trying though!

jvx
    Just Joined!
    Haven't tryed SuSE 9.3, but maybe you can use Yast to install Xine, Kaffeine, or better yet, mplayer
    www.mplayerhq.hu there should eaven be a link to suse rpm's!
    ---
    Googled links:
    ---
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design3/projects.html
    http://packman.links2linux.org/?action=128

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast