Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am quite new to Linux but know my way around faily well now, but... If I just type in "K3B" in run and hit enter, it is unable to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

K3B

I am quite new to Linux but know my way around faily well now, but... If I just type in "K3B" in run and hit enter, it is unable to see my cdrecoreder. If I want it to see the recorder I have to whack open the terminal in the root user and then type K3B to run it. This is Ok, but is there any way that I can set permissions for the cdrecorder or simply make K3B ask for the root password?

I'm using Fed Core 3 and KDE 3.3...

Sounds to me like your regular user doesn't have permission to access that drive. You can add permission by either adding your regular user to a group that does have permission (some distros have a "burning" or "media" group) or by modifying your /etc/fstab. That's a little more complicated and I'm sure someone else can explain that one for you.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yeah I thought that was probably it... I did a quick search but I am not really sure what I am looking for.

You should be able to browse your user's permissions/group memberships through the GUI in KDE. There's an app called "KUser" or something to that effect in the System menu.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    You should be able to browse your user's permissions/group memberships through the GUI in KDE. There's an app called "KUser" or something to that effect in the System menu.

And if you'd like to do it from the command line check out:

Code:
     info chmod
    and/or
    Code:
    info chown
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?

Just Joined!

Re: K3B

Quote Originally Posted by LeoKent
    I am quite new to Linux but know my way around faily well now, but... If I just type in "K3B" in run and hit enter, it is unable to see my cdrecoreder. If I want it to see the recorder I have to whack open the terminal in the root user and then type K3B to run it. This is Ok, but is there any way that I can set permissions for the cdrecorder or simply make K3B ask for the root password?

I'm using Fed Core 3 and KDE 3.3...
    are you trying to play a cd? you shouldnt need root permission for that

i play cd's all day long and it comes up automatically

i just ran a search on this forum for "k3b" and 264 threads came up, i am pretty sure the solution to your problem is there

Did you run:
    Code:
    k3bsetup
    ?

click on "defaults" and "apply," and that should set the permissions straight for you to use it as regular user.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here