Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am not sure how many of you might have ran into this problem but i would really appreciate if someone can help me out with this problem because it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mozilla and website viewing problems

I am not sure how many of you might have ran into this problem but i would really appreciate if someone can help me out with this problem because it is frustrating the hell out of me now. lol

When i am in windows and using IE i can view the following link fine. Click Here

Now it was brought ot my attention that the problem could lay in this piece of html code

Code:
     <style="text-decoration&#58; none">
    And if it is this that is causing the problem is there a way of resolving it seeing how the Admin doesn't want to resolve the issue.

Linux Engineer
    I don't know who's website that is but the <style> tag can only go inside the <head> tags. You can use inline CSS by using the attribute style within a tag but the way you have that code is wrong from what I can see.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Well that is thing i had a feeling it was that line of code i am just not well rounded enough to know what to tell the ownder to use in it's place because it is annoying when knowing you can't view the the forum properly if you don't mind is it possible for you guys to help me out with the proper code?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I have contacted the webmaster. This is what I wrote:
    To whomever it may concern,

It has come to my attention that at least one page on your site is using invalid HTML.
    The exact URL where it may be found is
    http://bahamascope.net/modules.php?name=Forums
    Specifically, there is a part looking like this:
    <style="text-decoration: none"><font color="#666666">Last 20 Forum Messages
    I am guessing that it is no more than a typo, but as you can surely see, <style="text-decoration: none"> is clearly not valid HTML. I'm guessing that what you really intended was <font color="#666666" style="text-decoration: none">, right?
    It seems that MS Internet Explorer parses the = sign and the following attribute value as part of the tag name, and therefore ignores it as an invalid tag, and it is probably therefore it has gone unnoticed. Netscape's/Mozilla's HTML parser, however, seems to tokenize the = sign as a token in itself (therefore obviously presenting itself as the better parser), and therefore tries to read the remaining content as a style sheet, since there is no corresponding ending tag.
    It came to my attention through linuxforums.org. To see the original context, follow this URL:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=3468

I would recommend that you run the rest of the content through W3C's HTML validator, which can be found at the following URL.
    http://validator.w3.org/

Linux Engineer
    I'd recommend using XHTML. It's really nice and neat.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    i hope the problem can be corrected but let me ask you this how come some people are able ot view the page without any issues? Are they just lying and saying they are able ot view it fine? I am asking because one or two people via IRC have said that they can't see anything wrong with it but i don't think that is the truth do you?

Linux Guru
    Well, like I stated in the message I sent, my guess is that Internet Explorer can view it, since it (probably to a bad lexical analyzer) parses the equal sign as part of the tag name, and therefore ignores the tag as if it were an invalid tag, and proceeds as if nothing was ever there.

Just Joined!
    Probably but let me ask you this isn't sorta like common courtesy to make sure your webite works on most browsers and not assume it does just because it works on just one? Or is this happening more and more these days because people are getting lazy?

I would think that it would make proper ssense to test it out just like how flash sites would have a html version for those that don't have flash installed.

Linux Guru
    Well, I can't see that it's a new thing; I've seen it going on for years, but what can you do? Most are using MSIE, after all. I do most certainly agree with you, though; that's why I designed my homepage the way I did, so that it can even be viewed correctly through lynx.
    I don't think that it's mainly about laziness, though. Probably, it has begun to go so far that many don't even realize that there are other browsers than MSIE.