Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello could you please recommend me a good download accelerator for linux? preferably, a free one......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

download accelerator

hello

could you please recommend me a good download accelerator for linux? preferably, a free one...

Just Joined!

Re: download accelerator

Quote Originally Posted by caminoix
    hello

could you please recommend me a good download accelerator for linux? preferably, a free one...
    Kind of impossible, if you use modem connection you can only get package little bit smaller than normally, and the "acceletars" can count speed littlebit diffrently so you think that the file is coming faster.

In ADSL / fast internet connection you can't speed up downloading.

Just Joined!
    i'm not using a modem, what made you think so? i have a permanent connection (what do you call it in english?), 1024 kb/s.

i'm looking for something like download express for windows. like kget, but kget doesn't really make the downloads faster. it's a nice manager, but the rates are still crappy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: download accelerator

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge
    In ADSL / fast internet connection you can't speed up downloading.

Just Joined!
    ok, say the download express, which i've mentioned 'cause this was what i was using in windows. it connects to six mirrors simultaneously and downloads every part it can from every mirror it can. when you download "normally", the speed very often drops sharply to 10 KB/s and after a few seconds jumps back again to a 100 KB/s. with download express, the rate is stable and usually over 90 KB/s (even with files where msie wouldn't be faster than like 20 KB/s).
    this is the sort of thing i'm looking for.

ps. when i download with mozilla, the rates are usually up to 500 KB/s (it says: KB, not kb) in the beginning and drop continuosly to as low as below 1 KB/s in the end. now, i wonder how come it's possible, if my bandwitdth is 1024 kbit/s?

Linux Engineer
    I guess you could try Azureus, a bittorrent-client

Just Joined!
    hi, caminiox,

have U heard about "Downloader for X" 2.5.0final, or ProZilla, ProzGUI, I guess U did...
    can U post UR impressions?

Just Joined!
    no, i haven't as a matter of fact. thank you for the tip

i will try them once my exam session is over (which is still 3 weeks ) and i will post my impressions.

Just Joined!
    I suppose wget command would help to accelerate your download

# wget <URL>

Linux Newbie
    aget and Axel are two multi-threaded download tools. They simultaneously download multiple copies of the same file to improve throughput.

aget is a command line program. Axel can be used from the command line, but it also has a GUI interface.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast