Find the answer to your Linux question:
Our Office work fully depend on Documentation. Upto last month we where working with MS Office. Commonly used Applications are MS Word and MS Excel. 2 Weeks back we Installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Will Limited Services Improve Working Speed

Our Office work fully depend on Documentation. Upto last month we where working with MS Office. Commonly used Applications are MS Word and MS Excel.
    2 Weeks back we Installed Fedora Core in all Systems and trying to migrate all our works to Linux. We Prefer Open Office (oowriter and oocal) to continue our running schedule.

But we found much difficult using Open Office as the system is getting too slow.

"If i can cut off some of the unwanted services from OS, will there be any improvement in System speed.

The following are the Applications we used to take
    1. oowriter
    2. oocalc
    3. Firefox
    4. Evolution

If cutting unwanted services will improve system performance, can any one guide me.. which all services to be cut off and need to work the above 4 Applications.

in simple yes it will, services running in the background use resources, and if you don't need these services it's wise to disable them. for example if your computer is just a personal workstation, you won't need bind, apache, ssh, if you're not on a network you don't need samba, nfsd or inet2 script starting up.

it takes a little effort to figure out what you don't need, but you can figure it out just by common sense as i showed above (if your computer is just a personal workstation, you won't need bind, apache, ssh). each service is started with an init script that can be found in /etc/rc.d/, it should be something similar to that as i know sysvinit uses a directory init system.

find each init script for the appropriate service and either add a ~ before it or make it non-executable, i prefer to add a ~ before it as it keeps things tidy, the natural order of directory listing lists the ~ files last, so it shows enabled down to disabled. after you've disabled everything you don't need i'd recommend a reboot as you've disabled so many services

Just Joined!

Re: Will Limited Services Improve Working Speed

Quote Originally Posted by shomy_linux
    Our Office work fully depend on Documentation. Upto last month we where working with MS Office. Commonly used Applications are MS Word and MS Excel.
    2 Weeks back we Installed Fedora Core in all Systems and trying to migrate all our works to Linux. We Prefer Open Office (oowriter and oocal) to continue our running schedule.

But we found much difficult using Open Office as the system is getting too slow.

"If i can cut off some of the unwanted services from OS, will there be any improvement in System speed.

The following are the Applications we used to take
    1. oowriter
    2. oocalc
    3. Firefox
    4. Evolution

If cutting unwanted services will improve system performance, can any one guide me.. which all services to be cut off and need to work the above 4 Applications.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Also, as a light alternative to oowriter, you could try Abiword (I think the latest version is 2.something). It has a bit less features, but starts much faster (I use it for just looking at documents, not editing them).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com